Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Search function

Hi,

I have a list of titles I need to find in another list.

I know my original list isn't shwon the exact same way but need to find it
none the less. E.g. in the original list it is shown as 'Eye', but in the
list I am looking for it in it is shown as 'Eye, The'.

A Vlookup won't work because they aren't the same. Is there a formula I can
use to locate my target easily? I have several hundred I need to find. I also
need to return a value to the right of the target column.

Thanks
Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

RD wrote:
Hi,

I have a list of titles I need to find in another list.

I know my original list isn't shwon the exact same way but need to find it
none the less. E.g. in the original list it is shown as 'Eye', but in the
list I am looking for it in it is shown as 'Eye, The'.

A Vlookup won't work because they aren't the same. Is there a formula I can
use to locate my target easily? I have several hundred I need to find. I also
need to return a value to the right of the target column.

Thanks
Rick

Actually you might could use VLOOKUP, just throw some wildcards around
the search term.

This assumes your original list in sheet orig!A:B and a search term in
another worksheet A1:

=VLOOKUP("*"&A1&"*",orig!$A$1:$B$1000,1,FALSE)

Increase the col_index_num parameter (given here as 1) to return other
columns from orig.

The big limitation of this sort of approach is you can only return at
most one match, and it will be the first one.