Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default CELL FORMAT

I want to format a column in excel 2003. I click on general because all I
want is a number. If I put the number 2 it shows .02. I do not want a decimal
number. How do I change this so I just have any number without decimal.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"mibes" wrote:
I want to format a column in excel 2003. I click on general because all I
want is a number. If I put the number 2 it shows .02. I do not want a
decimal
number. How do I change this so I just have any number without decimal.

Instead of General, use Number with zero decimal places.

Note that this changes only the appearance of values in cells. The actual
value will still be 0.02, for example.

If you want to change the value itself, you need to use an appropriate round
function; see the help pages for ROUND, ROUNDUP and ROUNDDOWN.

For example, if A1 currently contains the formula =A2-A3, and you want the
actual value to be rounded to an integer (no decimal fraction), change A1
to:

=ROUND(A2-A3,0)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is this happening only in the column you formatted or in any cell in the
worksheet? If the latter, click Tools/Options on the menu bar, select the
Edit tab on the dialog box that appears and remove the check mark from the
CheckBox labeled "Fixed decimal"

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"mibes" wrote in message
I want to format a column in excel 2003. I click on general because all I
want is a number. If I put the number 2 it shows .02. I do not want a
decimal
number. How do I change this so I just have any number without decimal.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Errata....

"Mibes" wrote:
If I put the number 2 it shows .02.

Disregard my response. I misread the OP. Fortunately Bob and Rich read
better than I did ;).