Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sort and Filter functions returnng different results

Can somebody please advise what to do about the folliwing

For example I have a value in a field "DO" which in some instances also has
a space at the end.

Filter on the column ignores the space, but sort picks up the space.

Thanks
JulieG
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could add a helper column and convert the space character to a different
character:

=substitute(a2," ",".")
(I changed the space character to a dot.)

Then copy this formula down the column as far as you need and filter by this
column.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Julie,
Is the space at the end important or is this just input error?

If it's not important you could use TRIM on a helper column.
=TRIM(A1) which will remove the space.
This can then be copied down as far as you need it and you could do a copy.
paste special/Values back into your original field(s).

James