Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I convert column of dates to Hebrew dates

I have an excel table of dates of death that I need to convert to Hebrew
calendar preferably in a single column formula which then can be exported to
Word for letters to relatives each year for yahrzeit reminders..

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How can I convert column of dates to Hebrew dates

To convert a column of dates to Hebrew dates in Excel, follow these steps:
  1. Enable the Hebrew calendar in Excel by going to File Options Advanced Scroll down to "When calculating this workbook" Check the box next to "Use the 1900 date system" Select "Hebrew" from the "Calendar type" dropdown menu.
  2. Use the following formula to convert the dates in your column to Hebrew dates:

    Formula:
    =TEXT(GREGORIAN_TO_HEBREW(A1),"dd/mm/yyyy"
    In this formula, A1 is the cell reference for the date you want to convert. You can drag this formula down to apply it to the entire column.
  3. This formula will convert the Gregorian date in cell A1 to the corresponding Hebrew date in the format of "dd/mm/yyyy". You can then copy and paste this formula to the entire column of dates.
  4. Export the column to Word for letters to relatives each year for yahrzeit reminders.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rather than take credit (or blame) for this, I'll point you to a site I found
with code to do Gregorian to Hebrew and Hebrew to Gregorian date conversions:

http://www.geocities.com/DafAWeek/HebCalVb6.html

To put the code into your workbook: Open the workbook. Press [Alt]+[F11] to
open the VB Editor. Use Insert -- Module to create a new code module. Copy
the code from the web site into the module. Close the VB Editor.

To use it, easiest to choose a column next to your list of dates and
(assuming your list is in column A and begins on row 2), in another column on
row 2, put the formula:
=DateToHeb(A2)
it will actually show up as =datetoheb(A2) in the formula bar. Anyhow, the
Hebrew calendar day will appear in the cell where you put that formula.

I have tried the code, it works without any runtime error, but I have not
verified the accuracy of the results. There are numerous online
Gregorian-to-Hebrew calendar sites (search for 'convert gregorian to hebrew'
to get a list), so you can enter some of your dates in them and see if their
results verify what the formula has provided.
Hope this helps.

"Joe Golden" wrote:

I have an excel table of dates of death that I need to convert to Hebrew
calendar preferably in a single column formula which then can be exported to
Word for letters to relatives each year for yahrzeit reminders..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I did compare just a few dates and they agreed with a site I checked them on,
but it revealed a "flaw" in the process. This site,
http://www.hebcal.com/converter/ , brought that to my attention.

The formula assumes that you're asking about a date before sundown on that
date.

That is, if you use the Gregorian date of 5 AUG 2009, the formula returns Av
15 5769. That is correct UNTIL sundown on 05 Aug 2009. After sunset the
correct answer is Av 16 5769.

"Joe Golden" wrote:

I have an excel table of dates of death that I need to convert to Hebrew
calendar preferably in a single column formula which then can be exported to
Word for letters to relatives each year for yahrzeit reminders..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tuesday, August 4, 2009 11:31:01 PM UTC-6, Joe Golden wrote:
I have an excel table of dates of death that I need to convert to Hebrew
calendar preferably in a single column formula which then can be exported to
Word for letters to relatives each year for yahrzeit reminders..

Have you been able to develop a solution. I am just starting on an effort with the same intent. Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Fri, 04 Apr 2014 07:24:23 -0400, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

However, the Help file is in an old format and, if you are running a version of Windows older than Vista, you will need to download the appropriate WinHLP32.exe file from Microsoft. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

That should read ...UNLESS you are running a version of Windows older than Vista, ...

Junior Member

Here is an active link to the code: http://www.dafaweek.com/hebcal/hebcalvb6.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

"Joe Golden" wrote:

I have an excel table of dates of death that I need to convert to Hebrew
calendar preferably in a single column formula which then can be exported to
Word for letters to relatives each year for yahrzeit reminders..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Joe Golden" wrote:

I have an excel table of dates of death that I need to convert to Hebrew
calendar preferably in a single column formula which then can be exported to
Word for letters to relatives each year for yahrzeit reminders..

I know this was from a while a go but am hoping you can still help me.

I have followed your instructions to 'put the code into your workbook' but this is not working. I have several lines in the macro which are shown in red. Am I right in thinking that this is an issue? Am I supposed to be editing part of this script for what I am doing?