Old July 31st 09, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Distinguish Letters vs. Numbers in an IF Statement

I need to write an IF statement so that if the contents of a cell are a
letter do one thing, it they are a number do another.

How do I distinguish between the two in an IF statement?

Thanks,

W. Wolfe

Old July 31st 09, 07:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Try this

=IF(ISNUMBER(A1),"Do number things",IF(NOT(ISBLANK(A1)),"Do text things","Do
neither, it's blank"))

Mike

Old July 31st 09, 07:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 14:34:04 -0400, "William Wolfe"
wrote:

I need to write an IF statement so that if the contents of a cell are a
letter do one thing, it they are a number do another.

How do I distinguish between the two in an IF statement?

Thanks,

W. Wolfe

=if(isnumber(cell_ref),"do this","do that")
--ron
Old July 31st 09, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use the ISNUMBER function...

=IF(A1="","I'm blank",IF(ISNUMBER(A1),"I'm a number","I'm text"))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Old July 18th 19, 07:49 PM
Junior Member

Smile Great answers thank you, I have a question relating to this.

I love these answers! thank you that is so very helpful.

I have been searching for something like this but with a twist.

What if you have numbers and letters in the cell. is there a way to tell it to show just the letters or the numbers as the answer???

thank you

PS: I did not want to start a whole new thread, I will hopefully get the answer here.
if not I will start one another time.