MAWII

Default Format Cells

I'm trying to figure out a way (if there's one) to enter a number into a
blank cell and have it automatically multiply that cell by 25.4 (essentially
converting a number from in. to mm.), keeping the new number in that same
cell: enter 2 into A2 and it converts it to 50.8 and A2 now shows 50.8.

Is this possible?

Thanks.
Bob Phillips

On Error GoTo ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = False
With Target
If .Column = 1 Then
.Value = .Value * 2.54
End If
End With

ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True

HTH

RP

"MAWII" wrote in message
I'm trying to figure out a way (if there's one) to enter a number into a
blank cell and have it automatically multiply that cell by 25.4

(essentially
converting a number from in. to mm.), keeping the new number in that same
cell: enter 2 into A2 and it converts it to 50.8 and A2 now shows 50.8.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

MAWII

That's pretty cool. I've got it working for the range of cells I need it to
work for. Is there a way to keep the cell empty if there's nothing in it?
If you accidentally type something into a cell and delete it, the cell
returns a 0, and that will ultimately corrupt my future calculations. I just
need empty cells to stay blank. Thanks!

-Mark

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Not by formatting, do you want this in any cell in the sheet or just one cell?
Assume the latter and A2

It would take an event macro so if someone else is using it they have to
enable the macro when they open the workbook, if not it won't work
Riight click the sheet tab where you want this, select view code and paste in

If Intersect(Range("A2"), Target) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
Target.Value = Target.Value * 25.4
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

press alt + Q to close the VB editor

now type an inch value in A2 and press enter

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"MAWII" wrote:

I'm trying to figure out a way (if there's one) to enter a number into a
blank cell and have it automatically multiply that cell by 25.4 (essentially
converting a number from in. to mm.), keeping the new number in that same
cell: enter 2 into A2 and it converts it to 50.8 and A2 now shows 50.8.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Bob Phillips

Hi Mark,

Slight amendment then

On Error GoTo ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = False
With Target
If .Column = 1 Then
If Not .Value = "" Then
.Value = .Value * 2.54

"MAWII" wrote:

I'm trying to figure out a way (if there's one) to enter a number into

blank cell and have it automatically multiply that cell by 25.4

(essentially
converting a number from in. to mm.), keeping the new number in that

same
cell: enter 2 into A2 and it converts it to 50.8 and A2 now shows

50.8.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

MAWII

I can't seem to get this one to work at all. I've got it pasted into the
correct sheet's module, but it's just not working. Is there anyway to edit
the code from Peo (which is working) to have it return a blank cell if what's
there is deleted?

Thanks for your time and effort with this!

"MAWII" wrote:

I'm trying to figure out a way (if there's one) to enter a number into

blank cell and have it automatically multiply that cell by 25.4

(essentially
converting a number from in. to mm.), keeping the new number in that

same
cell: enter 2 into A2 and it converts it to 50.8 and A2 now shows

50.8.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

MAWII

Nevermind--I just fixed my own problem by somehow figuring out how to put an
if statement in to Peo's code similar to your .Value = " ".

Thanks for your help--sorry for any headaches I may have caused!

-Mark