Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Find cell containing a letter

I have a column of numbers that were scanned in and OCR often makes mistakes
inserting a "S" instead of an "8" for example or an "O" instead of an "0".
Any ideas on how I can find any cells that contain A-Z in a cell of numbers?
I tried just sorting and picking up the mistakes at the bottom, however, that
does not always work. If the list of telephone numbers 000-000-0000 contains
a letter 603-5S5-0000 this does not sort to the bottom..

Thanks for the help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the format your dealing with is all like that:
000-000-0000

Perhaps this will do the trick:

=IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"-",""))),"","Letter present")
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Jon Hebert" wrote:

I have a column of numbers that were scanned in and OCR often makes mistakes
inserting a "S" instead of an "8" for example or an "O" instead of an "0".
Any ideas on how I can find any cells that contain A-Z in a cell of numbers?
I tried just sorting and picking up the mistakes at the bottom, however, that
does not always work. If the list of telephone numbers 000-000-0000 contains
a letter 603-5S5-0000 this does not sort to the bottom..

Thanks for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I placed 000-00A-0000 in A2 and typed your formula in B2
I got "False" as a result.

I then ran your formula on 000-000-0000 and I got Letter present..

What do you think?

Thank you!

"Jon Hebert" wrote:

I have a column of numbers that were scanned in and OCR often makes mistakes
inserting a "S" instead of an "8" for example or an "O" instead of an "0".
Any ideas on how I can find any cells that contain A-Z in a cell of numbers?
I tried just sorting and picking up the mistakes at the bottom, however, that
does not always work. If the list of telephone numbers 000-000-0000 contains
a letter 603-5S5-0000 this does not sort to the bottom..

Thanks for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jon Hebert,

The formula works for me - see the attached workbook "Find cell
containing a letter - Jon Hebert - SDG.xls".

Have a great day,
Stan

|Filename: Find cell containing a letter - Jon Hebert - SDG.xls |
|Download: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/attachment.php?attachmentid=190|

stanleydgromjr
stanleydgromjr's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=503
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119215

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Did you copy formula exaclty? When I copy your examples into A2 on my sheet,
it works. Perhaps Stan's workbook can shed some light?
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Jon Hebert" wrote:

I have a column of numbers that were scanned in and OCR often makes mistakes
inserting a "S" instead of an "8" for example or an "O" instead of an "0".
Any ideas on how I can find any cells that contain A-Z in a cell of numbers?
I tried just sorting and picking up the mistakes at the bottom, however, that
does not always work. If the list of telephone numbers 000-000-0000 contains
a letter 603-5S5-0000 this does not sort to the bottom..

Thanks for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for taking the time to check this. Luke M's sheet showed me my
mistake!

I appreciate your time!
Jon