Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel file should not open book1.xls

Normally all excel file opens with book1.xls or any file we intend to open
but i would like excel to open without opening any file e.g. book1.xls.

Can anyone help me out with this

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

To start with no workbook use this

On the desktop
Start - Run and enter

excel.exe /e

Mike

Mike

"Vijay Kotian" wrote:

Normally all excel file opens with book1.xls or any file we intend to open
but i would like excel to open without opening any file e.g. book1.xls.

Can anyone help me out with this

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Forgot to mention you can create a desktop icon to do this. Right click your
desktop and create shortcut. navigate to Excel.exe which is probably in
something like

c:\program files\microsoft office\office11

when you select Excel simply add the /e switch to the path.

Mike

"Vijay Kotian" wrote:

Normally all excel file opens with book1.xls or any file we intend to open
but i would like excel to open without opening any file e.g. book1.xls.

Can anyone help me out with this

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First, that new blank workbook should be book1 (not book1.xls with the
extension).

If you're seeing the extension, then something else is going wrong.

But if you're not seeing the extension, try Mike's suggestion again:

Create a new icon on the desktop.
the target should be:
"C:\yourpath to excel\excel.exe" /e

Notice the double quotes (required if the path has spaces) and remember that the
/e is separated by a space character (and not included inside the double
quotes).

--

Dave Peterson