Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Putting a Snippet of Text in a Cell

This question may by very basic, I don't know.

I'd like to tally a column of cells to arrive at a total. I know how to do
that with the autosum feature. So far, so good.

BUT... because of the layout of my table, I don't have room to put the word
"total" in the cell just to the left, which I would like for quickly
identifying the cell that has the total. Is there a feature where I can
format the cell to include the word "Total:" in it, and then put the numeric
total right after it with the auto-sum feature (so that when entries in the
column change, the total adjusts)?

Thanks in advance. DDC
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can enter this in the total cell (it becomes text)...
="Total "&SUM(C5:C18)

-or-

Format the total cell as...
"Total "#,##0.00
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"DeeDeeCee"

wrote in message
This question may by very basic, I don't know.

I'd like to tally a column of cells to arrive at a total. I know how to do
that with the autosum feature. So far, so good.

BUT... because of the layout of my table, I don't have room to put the word
"total" in the cell just to the left, which I would like for quickly
identifying the cell that has the total. Is there a feature where I can
format the cell to include the word "Total:" in it, and then put the numeric
total right after it with the auto-sum feature (so that when entries in the
column change, the total adjusts)?

Thanks in advance. DDC
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks. The first one worked. 2 follow-up questions, if I may:

1. The auto-sum option works pretty well, but though the numbers in the
columns have xx.00 in the formatting, the Total only shows as xx. (no
decimals)--unless one of the entries had some pennies, in which case it will
show up. This is obviously not a deal-breaker, but is there a way to get the
..00 to show up in the auto-sum result as well?

2. The second one didn't work--the "total, the #'s, and the 00's just
appeared in the cell. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong, and can you explain
what feature/technique this is (to improve my understanding of Excel?).

Thanks in any case for the solution.

ddc

wrote in message
This question may by very basic, I don't know.

I'd like to tally a column of cells to arrive at a total. I know how to do
that with the autosum feature. So far, so good.

BUT... because of the layout of my table, I don't have room to put the word
"total" in the cell just to the left, which I would like for quickly
identifying the cell that has the total. Is there a feature where I can
format the cell to include the word "Total:" in it, and then put the numeric
total right after it with the auto-sum feature (so that when entries in the
column change, the total adjusts)?

Thanks in advance. DDC

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Q1. Use TEXT to format it, eg:
="Total "&TEXT(SUM(C5:C18),"#,##0.00")

Q2. Suppose you have this formula in say D5: =SUM(C5:C18)
You can format D5 via FormatCellsCustom
then in the "Type"box, enter: "Total "#,##0.00
It'll then display in D5 as: Total 55.00 (for example, assuming the SUM = 55)
The underlying value in D5 remains a number (55) so you can easily continue
downstream calcs on D5 if needed.
--
Max
Singapore