Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Locating the max value AND performing a fn on it only

I think this may be a toughy. I know the MAX function will identify the max
value in a range or whatever. I want to locate that Max and perform a
function ONLY on the Max value. A hypothetical. Suppose that I want to
subtract 50 from the item which is the MAX in a range:
100 150 200

I would like to return
100 150 150

But if it original date we
250 150 200
I would like to return
200 150 200.
Is there any way to do this?

Thanks,
Pradhan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Not so tough. lets say your values are in A1 - A3 then put this in B1 and
drag down

=IF(A1=MAX($A$1:$A$3),A1-50,A1)

Mike

"Pradhan" wrote:

I think this may be a toughy. I know the MAX function will identify the max
value in a range or whatever. I want to locate that Max and perform a
function ONLY on the Max value. A hypothetical. Suppose that I want to
subtract 50 from the item which is the MAX in a range:
100 150 200

I would like to return
100 150 150

But if it original date we
250 150 200
I would like to return
200 150 200.
Is there any way to do this?

Thanks,
Pradhan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Pradhan wrote:
I think this may be a toughy. I know the MAX function will identify the max
value in a range or whatever. I want to locate that Max and perform a
function ONLY on the Max value. A hypothetical. Suppose that I want to
subtract 50 from the item which is the MAX in a range:
100 150 200

I would like to return
100 150 150

But if it original date we