Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ann ann is offline

Default Day of the week and date

I would like to create a spreadsheet so that when I enter a date cells to the
right automatically fill with the remaining days of the month by date and
also the actual name of the day of the month.

Ex:

Enter in 1/01/2009 in cell A2, cells to the right fill to 1/31/2009.
Then in cell A1 the name of the day of the month would fill in such as Monday.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Formula in A1:
=DAY(A2)
Custom format as:
dddd
Fomrula in B2:
=IF(A2="","",IF(MONTH(A2+1)=MONTH(A2),A2+1,""))
Format as using desired date format, copy to the right at least 31 cells.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"ann" wrote:

I would like to create a spreadsheet so that when I enter a date cells to the
right automatically fill with the remaining days of the month by date and
also the actual name of the day of the month.

Ex:

Enter in 1/01/2009 in cell A2, cells to the right fill to 1/31/2009.
Then in cell A1 the name of the day of the month would fill in such as Monday.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

In cell A1 enter
=A2
The choose Format, Cells, Number tab, Custom and enter DDDD on the Type line

In cell B2 enter
=EOMONTH(A2,0)

The EOMONTH function is part of the ATP in 2003 and earlier, so you need to
attach it by choosing Tools, Add-Ins, and check Analysis ToolPak.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"ann" wrote:

I would like to create a spreadsheet so that when I enter a date cells to the
right automatically fill with the remaining days of the month by date and
also the actual name of the day of the month.

Ex:

Enter in 1/01/2009 in cell A2, cells to the right fill to 1/31/2009.
Then in cell A1 the name of the day of the month would fill in such as Monday.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Formula in A1:
=DAY(A2)
Custom format as:
dddd

With the date 1/1/2009 entered in A2, the above formula returns Sunday when
it should return Thursday.

DAY returns the day number of the month. In this case the day number is 1.
Using the custom format 1 is evaluated as the date serial number 1 which is
Sunday January 1 1900.

Try it like this:

=TEXT(A2,"dddd")

--