Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to separate x y data in 1 column to 2 colums of x and y data?

I have column of x,y data where A1 is an x value and A2 a y ,then A3 is an x
A4 a y etc. There are several hundred values. I'd like to be able to parse
out all the y values in the 1st column, place them in a second column, then
remove the blank cells in both columns so that the x and y data are aligned
in two separate columns.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
DaHou
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Put this in B1:
=index(a:a,row()*2-1)

Put this in C1:
=index(a:a,row()*2)

Select B1:C1
Drag down as far as you need.

Select columns B:C
edit|copy
edit|Paste special|Values

delete column A
(if you're happy)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave, Thanks for the help. I must be doing something wrong as B1 and C1 fill
in correctly however when I select both columns and copy then paste
special/values, the values for B1 and C1 are repeated for all cells. What am
I doing wrong?

Thanks
dave H.

"DaHou" wrote:

I have column of x,y data where A1 is an x value and A2 a y ,then A3 is an x
A4 a y etc. There are several hundred values. I'd like to be able to parse
out all the y values in the 1st column, place them in a second column, then
remove the blank cells in both columns so that the x and y data are aligned
in two separate columns.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
DaHou

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This won't convert the formulas to values.

Are you sure you're copying the formulas from B1:C1 to B###:C### before you do
the next step?

Do you have any filtering turned on?

Do you have calculation set to automatic?

"DaHou" wrote:

I have column of x,y data where A1 is an x value and A2 a y ,then A3 is an x
A4 a y etc. There are several hundred values. I'd like to be able to parse
out all the y values in the 1st column, place them in a second column, then
remove the blank cells in both columns so that the x and y data are aligned
in two separate columns.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
DaHou

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to separate x y data in 1 column to 2 colums of x and y d

Hi Dave,
I copy the formulas from B1:C1 to B###:C### , then paste special with
formulas selected. The values from A:A are automatically transferred to the
appropriate cells in B:C. -Everything looks fine.

I initially tried pasting values but the results in B1:C1 were copied into
the other cells. I'm not a seasoned excel user so perhaps I'm coasting on
dumb luck, but everything seems to work correctly.

Best
Dave H.