Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default keeps converting text to date

I have a csv file that changes the text string "2-99" in to "Feb-99". I have
changed the cell formatting and auto-correct to override this, however when I
save the file it wipes out the change -- when I reopen the file again it's
back to "Feb-99". No matter how I format the cells when the file is open,
when I save it the dialog box tells me some features aren't compatible and
changes "2-99" in to "Feb-99." How can I correct this? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rename the .csv file to .txt and when you use file|open, you'll see the text to
columns wizard.

You'll be able to specify that this field is text.

Or keep the .csv file extension and use:
Data|import external data|import data (xl2003 menus)

You'll see that same text to columns wizard.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dataimport external Dataimport Data From the 'Convert Text to Columns'
Wizard Step 3; hold 'Shift' key and select the columns displayed under 'Data
Preview Area'. Once selected the background will be black and the text will
be white. Then on the same window from the group 'Column Data format' select
Text and hit Finish.

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Meaghan" wrote:

I have a csv file that changes the text string "2-99" in to "Feb-99". I have
changed the cell formatting and auto-correct to override this, however when I
save the file it wipes out the change -- when I reopen the file again it's
back to "Feb-99". No matter how I format the cells when the file is open,
when I save it the dialog box tells me some features aren't compatible and
changes "2-99" in to "Feb-99." How can I correct this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you both for your help.

I followed your instructions and was able to make the changes and have them
stick within the file. However I must have the final version in csv for
uploading purposes, and no matter how I format the column/fields, once I save
it and reopen it, it always reverts back to displaying those fields as
"Feb-99" as opposed to "2-99". Any ideas? Thanks!