Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how display 12/3 as fraction?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I tried to display 12/3 as "12/3" in a cell by formating as fraction, with
up to 2 digits, but it just shows 4.
Any ideas on how to show as 12/3?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The basic fraction format for two numbers is actualy (look under custom)
# ??/??
you could modify this to:
??/??
however, XL uses its knowledge and will always try to reduce fractions, thus
12/3 would be displayed as 4/1.

If you really need to display 12/3, you will first need to format the cell
as text, before inputting your value.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Ian Elliott" wrote:

Thanks in advance for any help.
I tried to display 12/3 as "12/3" in a cell by formating as fraction, with
up to 2 digits, but it just shows 4.
Any ideas on how to show as 12/3?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

<will always try to reduce fractions

Not always. Format Custom as ?/3

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Ian Elliott" wrote:

Thanks in advance for any help.
I tried to display 12/3 as "12/3" in a cell by formating as fraction,
with
up to 2 digits, but it just shows 4.
Any ideas on how to show as 12/3?
Thanks