Joanne

Default Sorting alphanumeric

I would like to sort some text which is formatted in column one as:
1'
100
1000'
2
2'
and so on. Any number that does not have an "'" at the end should come
before any number that does and all the 1s, 2s, 3s, etc. should be grouped
together. Is this possible? The result would look like:
1
100
1000'
2
2'

Boy, would I appreciate some help.
Bill Kuunders

Column A has the numbers to sort.

enter in B1 =LEFT(A1)
enter in C1 =IF(RIGHT(A1)="'","1",A1)
enter in D1 =LEFT(A1,LEFT(LEN(A1)-1))

extend formula's down the columns
highlight the area and select data sort
sort by column B, then by column C, then by column D.

Come back to us with more samples if this does not work for you.
--
Greetings from New Zealand
Bill K

"Joanne" wrote in message
I would like to sort some text which is formatted in column one as:
1'
100
1000'
2
2'
and so on. Any number that does not have an "'" at the end should come
before any number that does and all the 1s, 2s, 3s, etc. should be grouped
together. Is this possible? The result would look like:
1
100
1000'
2
2'

Boy, would I appreciate some help.

Joanne

Thank you very much for your help. It's almost working. I neglected to say
that there was text in column two, but I just moved all of the formulas over
one column, assuming that would work. ( I entered the formulas and then
sorted by columns, C, D, E). The results I got were that the number 17' in
column one came out at the top of the list, even before the number 1. The
other "'" came out after the regular numbers. Thanks for any help you can
provide.

"Joanne" wrote:

I would like to sort some text which is formatted in column one as:
1'
100
1000'
2
2'
and so on. Any number that does not have an "'" at the end should come
before any number that does and all the 1s, 2s, 3s, etc. should be grouped
together. Is this possible? The result would look like:
1
100
1000'
2
2'

Boy, would I appreciate some help.

Bill Kuunders

Joanne,
Change the if formula to read as below (10000 in stead of 1)
to get the "'"numbers last.
=IF(RIGHT(B1)="'","10000",B1)

Can you send more data as examples to sort if this is still not right.
If you do get the question to sort as numbers or to sort numbers and text
seperately
choose the top option .....sort as numbers.
Regards
--
Greetings from New Zealand
Bill K