Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Vlookup I think

I have a worksheet which is a master list of students.
Column A - First Name
Column B - Last Name
Column C - contains data that will change on a weekly basis.

I have several other worksheets within the same spreadsheet, one for each
subject. Not all students from the master list will be on each of the subject
sheets. Some to Spanish, others do French etc....

I need to make sure that when the data in Column C is changed each week, it
feeds to the other worksheets for the correct students.

I tried paste link from the master list of students to eg the French list,
but if I then re-sort the master list by e.g first name (instead of
lastname), the data pasted to the French list is against the wrong student.

So, the data in eg $c$1 remains the same when pasted to the French sheet,
but then doesn't correspond to the student once I re-sort the master student
list.

I seem to remember doing something like this in the past but am a bit rusty!

Does this make sense?
--
thank you for your help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

edith wrote:
[...]

You might be able to use VLOOKUP for this, depending, but you will have
to modify your worksheet(s) a little.

So you need to match two values (first and last name), but VLOOKUP can
only match a single value. A workaround is to concatenate the names to
make one value, e.g.,
=A2&B2
You will need to do this on all your worksheets assuming first and last
names are everywhere in different columns.

The next part of the challenge is, VLOOKUP can only return a value from
the same column of the lookup, or somewhere to the right. So on the
master list, the concatenated name--the name to look up-- /must/ appear
/to the left/ of the data you want to return.

Depending on how you populate your master data, it might be advantageous
to put the concatenated field in column A and shift the others one
column to the right. IOW:

Column A - =B2&C2
Column B - First Name
Column C - Last Name
Column D - contains data that will change on a weekly basis.

Now you should be able to use VLOOKUP to fetch the master data on other
worksheets.

Does this make sense?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thankyou. Your suggestion made sense and I have amended my spreadsheets and
it all works..
--
thank you for your help