Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copy & Paste Special Operations

Is it possible, when using the Paste Special Operations function to paste,
rather than have Excel paste the result of the operation to have it paste a
formula?

For example, say I have 100 in one cell and 50 in another, and I want to
copy the cell that says 100 and paste it on the 50 with Paste Special Add
function (or whatever function will actually do what I'm looking for) and
instead of it pasting the value of the addition (150) pasting instead
something like =50+100.

As a corallary, would there be some way to do this where I could paste a
formula with a reference instead, so that, for instance, with two cells, one
with the value of 100 and one with the value of 50, if I copied the 100 into
the 50, the cell would then read =50+[Cell Reference of cell that has value
of 100 in it]. That way, if I subsequently changed what was in that cell, it
would carry over to the new cell?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What you are asking for does not exist as part of standard XL. You could
create a macro to do it but it would be a fair bit of work...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"StephenAWJ" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I thought that was the case. I can't tell you how many times I've pined for
that funcationality, though... it frequently seems like a useful addition.

Sadly, Macros is one area where my knowledge is roughly nil, and I imagine
even so this little bit would be more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks,

Stephen