Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default looking for scheduling examples

I have 5 operators working 8 hour shifts, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Each month shedules rotate, except days. The 4 shifts are midnight (12-8,
Fri & Sat days off)), day Maintenance(8-4, Sat & Sun days off), swing (4-12,
Mon & Tues days off), and relief, who fills in during days off for each shift
(days off Wed & Thurs). The day operator only works day shift, with Sun &
Mon as his days off. On Monday, day maintenance covers for him, and relief
covers for him on Tue.

I am able to get this scheduled ok, but I recently ran into a situation
where 2 men were on vacation, and then a 3nd man had to take off for an
emergency.

I was able to get the shifts covered via overtime for the remaining men
(utilizing a rotating oveertime board), but part of this was handled during
my off time, at home.

I did not have a copy of shedule, or the ovetime board. Overtime board
consists of a call-out card for each of the 5 men. When one is called for
ot, his name then goes to the back of the stack. Each man has the right to
refuse ot if he wants.

I am looking at getting a cell phone running Windows Mobile, and thought I
could set up an excel program that I would have handy, any hour of the day.

I would like to have my shift assignments handy to view on a worksheet, and
I would like to be able to change assignments as needed, which would be one
day at a time. I would like my overtime board to be the source of who would
be next to fill in in an overtime situation, rotating as needed.

I have a file that I could post if need be, which consists of the monthly
assignements, for the year.

I believe I could do this in MSAccess(2007), however I don't know if Windows
Mobile can run that. Does anyone know? If Excel is the way to go, can
someone help me out in figuring the code to do this? (I am running
Excel2007).

Thanks in advance

Rick