Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pat Pat is offline

Default Excel Formatting Problem

I am not new to Office 2007 but have encountered an error I can't figure out.
My brother, who IS new to Excel, installed Office 2007 within the past six
months. He sent me a worksheet that he had been working on that showed extra
commas in each of the cells, e.g., $4,00,550. When I open his file on my
computer, it doesn't show the extra comma. I had him try various formats in
which commas are included, but it always comes up with the extra one.

I even sent him a very simple file with numbers such as $400,550.00. My file
is accurate, but when he opens it at his end, he gets, $4,00,550.00.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
--
Pat
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just a possibility - not sure if this is the problem:
Select a cell with the odd currency display
On the Home tab locate the Styles group and clink of Cell Styles
Right click on the Currency style and use Modify
Check the position of commas in the format
Let us know if this is a fix
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Pat" wrote in message
I am not new to Office 2007 but have encountered an error I can't figure
out.
My brother, who IS new to Excel, installed Office 2007 within the past six
months. He sent me a worksheet that he had been working on that showed
extra
commas in each of the cells, e.g., $4,00,550. When I open his file on my
computer, it doesn't show the extra comma. I had him try various formats
in
which commas are included, but it always comes up with the extra one.

I even sent him a very simple file with numbers such as $400,550.00. My
file
is accurate, but when he opens it at his end, he gets, $4,00,550.00.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
--
Pat

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would have him check his Regional Settings in Control Panel.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:27:19 -0700, Pat
wrote:

I am not new to Office 2007 but have encountered an error I can't figure out.
My brother, who IS new to Excel, installed Office 2007 within the past six
months. He sent me a worksheet that he had been working on that showed extra
commas in each of the cells, e.g., $4,00,550. When I open his file on my
computer, it doesn't show the extra comma. I had him try various formats in
which commas are included, but it always comes up with the extra one.

I even sent him a very simple file with numbers such as $400,550.00. My file
is accurate, but when he opens it at his end, he gets, $4,00,550.00.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pat Pat is offline

This worked, Gord! Thank you . . . my brother had English (Hindi). We never,
in a million years, would have figured this out. :-)

Thanks again,
Pat
--
Pat

wrote:

I am not new to Office 2007 but have encountered an error I can't figure out.
My brother, who IS new to Excel, installed Office 2007 within the past six
months. He sent me a worksheet that he had been working on that showed extra
commas in each of the cells, e.g., $4,00,550. When I open his file on my
computer, it doesn't show the extra comma. I had him try various formats in
which commas are included, but it always comes up with the extra one.

I even sent him a very simple file with numbers such as $400,550.00. My file
is accurate, but when he opens it at his end, he gets, $4,00,550.00.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord:
Pat is much smarter than me but I am much better looking! Thanks for the help.
Bill Sheridan...Des Moines, IA

"Pat" wrote in message
I am not new to Office 2007 but have encountered an error I can't figure
out.
My brother, who IS new to Excel, installed Office 2007 within the past six
months. He sent me a worksheet that he had been working on that showed
extra
commas in each of the cells, e.g., $4,00,550. When I open his file on my
computer, it doesn't show the extra comma. I had him try various formats
in
which commas are included, but it always comes up with the extra one.

I even sent him a very simple file with numbers such as $400,550.00. My
file
is accurate, but when he opens it at his end, he gets, $4,00,550.00.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
--
Pat

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Good to hear.

Thanks for the feedback.

Gord

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:17:01 -0700, Pat
wrote:

This worked, Gord! Thank you . . . my brother had English (Hindi). We never,
in a million years, would have figured this out. :-)

Thanks again,
Pat

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord:
I am Patrick's brother. He may be smarter than me...but I'm a heckuva' lot
better looking!!!

Thanks so much for your advice. It was spot on.

Bill Sheridan-Des Moines, IA