Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can you use math functions as arguments in a subtotal formula?

Can you use math functions as arguments in a subtotal formula?

For example, if I want to =subtotal(9,A1,A2,(-2*A3)) is there a way to make
that work?

Thanks to any and all for help with this.
Erik
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, since SUBTOTAL is setup to look at references, not numbers, you can't
input a math function. You can do this with SUM because SUM looks for numbers.

Depending on your setup, you can "cheat" by using
=SUM(B1,B2,B3*2)&" "

Using that structure, any other SUM that included this "total" would ignore
it, since its text.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Erik at E2open" wrote:

Can you use math functions as arguments in a subtotal formula?

For example, if I want to =subtotal(9,A1,A2,(-2*A3)) is there a way to make
that work?

Thanks to any and all for help with this.
Erik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

What are you really trying to do? Show us an example with data. SUBTOTAL
is designed to allow you to hide rows and exclude the hidden items?

If you are not doing that then SUM is a better choice.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Erik at E2open" wrote:

Can you use math functions as arguments in a subtotal formula?

For example, if I want to =subtotal(9,A1,A2,(-2*A3)) is there a way to make
that work?

Thanks to any and all for help with this.
Erik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

SUBTOTAL function is used to sum up visible cells in a filtered list.

=SUBTOTAL(9,A:A) entered in B1 will give you the total of visible cells in
Column A when filtered.

You can add more arguments if you choose.

=SUBTOTAL(9,A:A)-A3 will work.

=SUBTOTAL(9,A:A)+12345 is also valid.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP