Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default SUM with multiple + and -

I know this is so simple but I'm drawing a blank. I'd appreciate any help
you can offer.

In a column I have 3 numbers to add and 2 numbers to subtract.....

65
+40
- 23
- 20

I've tried =SUM(A1:A2)-(A3:A4) but it doesn't work.

Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=A1+A2-A3-A4
or
=Sum(A1:A2)-Sum(A3:A4)

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Marge" wrote:

I know this is so simple but I'm drawing a blank. I'd appreciate any help
you can offer.

In a column I have 3 numbers to add and 2 numbers to subtract.....

65
+40
- 23
- 20

I've tried =SUM(A1:A2)-(A3:A4) but it doesn't work.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks!

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

=A1+A2-A3-A4
or
=Sum(A1:A2)-Sum(A3:A4)

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Marge" wrote:

I know this is so simple but I'm drawing a blank. I'd appreciate any help
you can offer.

In a column I have 3 numbers to add and 2 numbers to subtract.....

65
+40
- 23
- 20

I've tried =SUM(A1:A2)-(A3:A4) but it doesn't work.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Marge

If your data in the column is exactly as in your example
SUM function will get you the result of 62
=SUM(A2:A5)

But if your data in the column is as follow :
65
40
23
20
then use =SUM(A2:A5)-SUM(A2:A5) which will give you 62

--
Hope this is helpful

Pls click the Yes button below if this post provide answer you have asked

Thank You

cheers, francis

Am not a greek but an ordinary user trying to assist another

"Marge" wrote:

I know this is so simple but I'm drawing a blank. I'd appreciate any help
you can offer.

In a column I have 3 numbers to add and 2 numbers to subtract.....

65
+40
- 23
- 20

I've tried =SUM(A1:A2)-(A3:A4) but it doesn't work.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=SUM(A1:A4)
of =a1+a2+a3+a4 if you like to type <grin
when you add a negative number it get subtracted
Think of 5+1+(-2) , 5+1 = 6, then add the negative of 2 giving 4

Your formula =SUM(A1:A2)-(A3:A4) gives this
First we get 105 - (-43)
Which evaluates to 105 + 43 which give 148
because the negative of a negative value is positive.

Think of + numbers has money in your pocket and - numbers as money you owe
The -(-$10) is money someone owes you!
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme