Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Merging Lines of data

I have a long list of data that is, on some, rows duplicated. Is it possible
to merge these lines without going through every row and deleting manually. I
tried the search and find function but I have to input each piece of data
manually.
There is about 600 rows and two columns, the first column is a surname and
the second column is a ref no. Some of the surnames and ref no's are
duplicated. I want to delete the duplicated ones is there a way

Thanks
--
xxx888xxxx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
look into CPearson Webpage

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm

Go to the middle of the page you will find there how to delete duplicates

"Sigourney-Leigh" wrote:

I have a long list of data that is, on some, rows duplicated. Is it possible
to merge these lines without going through every row and deleting manually. I
tried the search and find function but I have to input each piece of data
manually.
There is about 600 rows and two columns, the first column is a surname and
the second column is a ref no. Some of the surnames and ref no's are
duplicated. I want to delete the duplicated ones is there a way

Thanks
--
xxx888xxxx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel See Chip Pearson's page on Duplicate and Uniques

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Sigourney-Leigh" wrote in
message ...
I have a long list of data that is, on some, rows duplicated. Is it
possible
to merge these lines without going through every row and deleting
manually. I
tried the search and find function but I have to input each piece of data
manually.
There is about 600 rows and two columns, the first column is a surname and
the second column is a ref no. Some of the surnames and ref no's are
duplicated. I want to delete the duplicated ones is there a way

Thanks
--
xxx888xxxx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can try the below..

1. Select the range in Col A and B including the header.
2. DataFilterAdvanced FilterCopy to another location
3. In copy to I have selected D1 and check 'Unique records only'
4. Click OK will give you the unique list of name and number in Col D and E.

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Sigourney-Leigh" wrote:

I have a long list of data that is, on some, rows duplicated. Is it possible
to merge these lines without going through every row and deleting manually. I
tried the search and find function but I have to input each piece of data
manually.
There is about 600 rows and two columns, the first column is a surname and
the second column is a ref no. Some of the surnames and ref no's are
duplicated. I want to delete the duplicated ones is there a way

Thanks
--
xxx888xxxx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming you have two columns side-by-side. Select the cells and pull-down:

Data Filter Advanced Filter Unique records
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200858

"Sigourney-Leigh" wrote:

I have a long list of data that is, on some, rows duplicated. Is it possible
to merge these lines without going through every row and deleting manually. I
tried the search and find function but I have to input each piece of data
manually.
There is about 600 rows and two columns, the first column is a surname and
the second column is a ref no. Some of the surnames and ref no's are
duplicated. I want to delete the duplicated ones is there a way

Thanks
--
xxx888xxxx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

And if you are using 2007, choose Data, Remove Duplicates

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire