militant

Default deleting a macro resulted in a problem

I'm a beginner with excel macro. I tried to write a macro and soon I
found I couldn't finish it so I just determined to delete it to get
out. Then when I open the file, a message poped up, reading that there
is a macro in this file, you can cancel, start it,blah,blah. As I've
deleted the macro and I am sure there is no other macros in this file,
I am confused. I tried to cancel and start the macro, it said "module
unfound" under both options and the file couldn't be opened. As this
file contained some important info for me, can someone offer some
help?
Thanks,
Militant
Debra Dalgleish

When you record a macro, Excel creates a module in which the code is
stored. When you delete the macro, the module is not automatically
deleted. There are instructions for finding and removing code on the
following page:

http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqMac.html#NoMacros

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

militant

I followed your link to the FAQ. However, I found it didn't work for
me. As I chose to enable or disable the macro, the file wasn't opened.
It was blank in excel. So I couldn't edit any vb code or module to the
file I want to open, let alone remove something.
From the looks of pane in that page, I felt maybe that is in Excel Xp
or 2003 and I am using excel 2000, it that the problem?
Thanks and Regards, Dalgleish
Militant

militant wrote:
I'm a beginner with excel macro. I tried to write a macro and soon I
found I couldn't finish it so I just determined to delete it to get
out. Then when I open the file, a message poped up, reading that there
is a macro in this file, you can cancel, start it,blah,blah. As I've
deleted the macro and I am sure there is no other macros in this file,
I am confused. I tried to cancel and start the macro, it said "module
unfound" under both options and the file couldn't be opened. As this
file contained some important info for me, can someone offer some
help?
Thanks,
Militant

Gord Dibben

militant

When you open the workbook, you must select "yes" to enable macros.

Then follow Debra's instructions to delete the module.

Not a version issue........2000 same as 2002 and 2003.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:31:47 +0800, militant wrote:

I followed your link to the FAQ. However, I found it didn't work for
me. As I chose to enable or disable the macro, the file wasn't opened.
It was blank in excel. So I couldn't edit any vb code or module to the
file I want to open, let alone remove something.
From the looks of pane in that page, I felt maybe that is in Excel Xp

militant wrote:
I'm a beginner with excel macro. I tried to write a macro and soon I
found I couldn't finish it so I just determined to delete it to get
out. Then when I open the file, a message poped up, reading that there
is a macro in this file, you can cancel, start it,blah,blah. As I've
deleted the macro and I am sure there is no other macros in this file,
I am confused. I tried to cancel and start the macro, it said "module
unfound" under both options and the file couldn't be opened. As this
file contained some important info for me, can someone offer some
help?
Thanks,
Militant

militant

Dibben,
I've tried to choose "yes", ie, enable the macor. It was just the
same. The file wasnt open and it was blank in excel. I've tried
several times with both "no" and "yes". The problem, I think, is that
I just couldn't open the file and look up in the vb editor window.
I almost felt a little frustrated so I want to attach the file in
trouble here and let you have a look.
Thanks a lot!
Militant

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:16:29 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca
wrote:

militant

When you open the workbook, you must select "yes" to enable macros.

Then follow Debra's instructions to delete the module.

Not a version issue........2000 same as 2002 and 2003.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:31:47 +0800, militant wrote:

I followed your link to the FAQ. However, I found it didn't work for
me. As I chose to enable or disable the macro, the file wasn't opened.
It was blank in excel. So I couldn't edit any vb code or module to the
file I want to open, let alone remove something.
From the looks of pane in that page, I felt maybe that is in Excel Xp

militant wrote:
I'm a beginner with excel macro. I tried to write a macro and soon I
found I couldn't finish it so I just determined to delete it to get
out. Then when I open the file, a message poped up, reading that there
is a macro in this file, you can cancel, start it,blah,blah. As I've
deleted the macro and I am sure there is no other macros in this file,
I am confused. I tried to cancel and start the macro, it said "module
unfound" under both options and the file couldn't be opened. As this
file contained some important info for me, can someone offer some
help?
Thanks,
Militant

militant

Gord Dibben

militant

Posting files is frowned upon in these news groups.

In future, please ask if someone will take a look at your file and if you get
a positive response, you can send it that respopnder's email.

That little message done with..........I opened your file by answering yes to
the macro alert and you have code in a module.

If you are not seeing the file after it is open, perhaps you could try one of
following steps.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and
On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Alternative......I can clear the module and send the workbook back to your
email.

Gord

wrote:

militant

When you open the workbook, you must select "yes" to enable macros.

Then follow Debra's instructions to delete the module.

Not a version issue........2000 same as 2002 and 2003.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:31:47 +0800, militant wrote:

I followed your link to the FAQ. However, I found it didn't work for
me. As I chose to enable or disable the macro, the file wasn't opened.
It was blank in excel. So I couldn't edit any vb code or module to the
file I want to open, let alone remove something.
From the looks of pane in that page, I felt maybe that is in Excel Xp

militant wrote:
I'm a beginner with excel macro. I tried to write a macro and soon I
found I couldn't finish it so I just determined to delete it to get
out. Then when I open the file, a message poped up, reading that there
is a macro in this file, you can cancel, start it,blah,blah. As I've
deleted the macro and I am sure there is no other macros in this file,
I am confused. I tried to cancel and start the macro, it said "module
unfound" under both options and the file couldn't be opened. As this
file contained some important info for me, can someone offer some
help?
Thanks,
Militant

militant

Thanks for your effort and kind advice about posting files. I will keep
aware of this.
For my problem with the macro, I followed what you tipped step by step,
however it seemed that I couldn't figure out. Whatever I've tried, I
just couldn't open the file.
Now I gotta ask you to send the workbook to me at .
Thanks again!
Militant

Gord Dibben

I don't have your workbook. No reason for me to save it.

If you want me to delete the code and send the workbook back to you, email it
to me personally.

Change the DOT and AT to appropriate symbols.

Gord

On 28 Apr 2005 21:55:03 -0700, "militant" wrote:

Thanks for your effort and kind advice about posting files. I will keep
aware of this.
For my problem with the macro, I followed what you tipped step by step,
however it seemed that I couldn't figure out. Whatever I've tried, I
just couldn't open the file.
Now I gotta ask you to send the workbook to me at .
Thanks again!
Militant

Gord Dibben

I did find it in my Temp files.

I will send to your email.

Gord

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:59:05 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:

I don't have your workbook. No reason for me to save it.

If you want me to delete the code and send the workbook back to you, email it
to me personally.

Change the DOT and AT to appropriate symbols.

Gord

On 28 Apr 2005 21:55:03 -0700, "militant" wrote:

Thanks for your effort and kind advice about posting files. I will keep
aware of this.
For my problem with the macro, I followed what you tipped step by step,
however it seemed that I couldn't figure out. Whatever I've tried, I
just couldn't open the file.
Now I gotta ask you to send the workbook to me at .
Thanks again!
Militant

Hotkey problem w/ macro to append comment roadkill Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 April 6th 05 06:52 PM
Problem Editing Macro in Shared Excel File [email protected] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 March 19th 05 06:01 PM
Macro problem Jim New Users to Excel 2 March 16th 05 07:36 PM
Circular Problem needs Macro NICK Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 February 1st 05 09:09 AM
Problem executing a macro from different workbook where it is Sergio Calleja Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 January 17th 05 12:38 PM