Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Locking Cells

Hi All

I have a workbook and would like to make certain cells editable and lock
other cells. How do I achieve this functionality?

I'd appreciate any advise or guidance from the professionals in the forum.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Cheers, H
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The cells that you want to be able to edit, under format cell, protection
tab, uncheck the "locked" box. (cells are protected by default)

Now go to Tools-Protection, protect sheet. You can play around w/ options if
you want, but you should be okay with default settings. Use a password if
desired.

You should now only be able to edit the cells that you setup.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Hardip" wrote:

Hi All

I have a workbook and would like to make certain cells editable and lock
other cells. How do I achieve this functionality?

I'd appreciate any advise or guidance from the professionals in the forum.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Cheers, H

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In two steps:
1) Select all the cells that you wish to allow users to change; from the
format dialog Unlock these
2) Protect the sheet, with or without a password
The actual operation depends on the version of Excel you are using.
If you need more details, please tell us if you have Excel 2007 or an
earlier version
This site gives some idea of what to do in classical Excel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGgXU6KIVr8
You may find better ones with a Google search with "Excel worksheet protect"

Beware that even moderately competent users can find websites that will
overcome the worksheet password; so the method is OK to prevent accidents
but is not a truly secure protection.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme