Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Only allow cell content if it lready exists

Hi

Excel 2007
I have 2 sheets, sheet 1 has a list of names, sheet 2 has a list with
multiple entries of the same names.
Is there a way to ensure that only names contained in Sheet 1 can be entered
in sheet 2?

Thanks

Brian
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

use datavalidationlist

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Brian Bermingham" wrote in
message ...
Hi

Excel 2007
I have 2 sheets, sheet 1 has a list of names, sheet 2 has a list with
multiple entries of the same names.
Is there a way to ensure that only names contained in Sheet 1 can be
entered
in sheet 2?

Thanks

Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I thought of that, but I can only get it to work on the same sheet.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

use datavalidationlist

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"Brian Bermingham" wrote in
message ...
Hi

Excel 2007
I have 2 sheets, sheet 1 has a list of names, sheet 2 has a list with
multiple entries of the same names.
Is there a way to ensure that only names contained in Sheet 1 can be
entered
in sheet 2?

Thanks

Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the cells on Sheet1 that contain your names. Go to Insert - Name -
Define. Give this range a name (MyRange), click Add. Now, when you go to Data
Validation on Sheet2, Select list, and then input
=MyRange
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Brian Bermingham" wrote:

I thought of that, but I can only get it to work on the same sheet.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

use datavalidationlist

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"Brian Bermingham" wrote in
message ...
Hi

Excel 2007
I have 2 sheets, sheet 1 has a list of names, sheet 2 has a list with
multiple entries of the same names.
Is there a way to ensure that only names contained in Sheet 1 can be
entered
in sheet 2?

Thanks

Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Not only can you use data validation from a different sheet, you can even
use it based on a range in another workbook. The key in both cases is you
must name the range. Luke has described the method in 2003, in 2007 it is
Formulas, Define Name...

However, the fastest way to name a single range is to select it and type the
name into the Name Box on the left hand side of the Formula Bar and then
press Enter.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Brian Bermingham" wrote:

I thought of that, but I can only get it to work on the same sheet.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

use datavalidationlist