Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tel Tel is offline

Default Interactive Data Input Boxes

Hello,

I'm looking for a solution for a data input box. Which will open
automatically on the opening of a worksheet.

When the user inputs data into the text box I want it to populate cell F3 of
the Intro sheet and then go to another macro to open the next data input box.

However, if Cell F3 is already populated I'd like the macro to be bypassed.

Finally, I'd like the information in cell F3 to be used in the next text box.

It would be something like

Data input Box 1

"Hello, what is your first name?"

(user enters first name - say "Dave" - which populates Cell F3)

Data input Box 2

"Thanks Dave (sourced from F3), now what is your surname?"

(user enters surname - say "Smith" which populates cell G3)

etc. etc etc.

The idea is to make a questionnaire more interactive and personal.

Finally, and as an aside, is it possible to make a text box that will only
accept Yes or No answers and populate cells with Yes or No dependent upon the
response?

Thanking you all in anticipation.

Regards,

Tel
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could use InputBox to retrieve each of these responses from the user. But
as a user, I would hate it.
Typing my response, clicking ok over and over and over isn't nice. And if I
make a mistake, it's a pain to close the workbook and start from the beginning.

Instead you could use a userform that gets the info you want. After the user
clicks the ok button, you populate the cells the way you like.

If you want to try...

Debra Dalgleish has some instructions he
http://contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html
http://contextures.com/xlUserForm02.html
and
http://contextures.com/xlVideos05.html#UserForm01
http://contextures.com/xlVideos015html#UserForm01

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Something like the below and you need to call this macro from workbook Open
event

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Call Macro1
End Sub

Sub Macro1()

If Range("F3") = "" Then
Range("F3") = InputBox("Hello, what is your first name?")
End If

If Range("G3") = "" Then
Range("G3") = InputBox("Thanks " & Range("F3") & " now what is your surname?")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Tel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

As Dave mentioned from a usage perspective it would be inconvenient to fill
in multiple input boxes...

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Tel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tel Tel is offline

Thank you all for your input. I'm learning more as each day passes (although
it may not seem like it).

Dave, for future reference, I like the idea of the userform and will hang
onto the link to gain a better understanding of it.

Jacob, I only intend limiting the boxes to a few so, given the amount of
time I've already invested in this project so far, I'll probably stick with
that approach although I accept your comments that it may not be quite as
user friendly as I'd hoped (although it will probably be in keeping with the
company's touchy, feely, fluffy wuffy way of doing things :-)

I'd also like to say thanks to everyone who helps brain dead numpty's like
me. Your assistance is invaluable.

Regards

"Tel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A person that is not inclined to suggest a better way to the bosses is
doomed to always be controlled by bosses.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel