Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sort Absolute Values

Is it possible? I want to sort a list in excell by absolute value so that the
number 3 will be above -3 (or its closest match) and the number 990 will be
above -990 (or its closest match).

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don't think you can do it in one step. If you don't get a better answer,
insert a "helper" column to create the absolute value of your data. Then sort
by the helper and delete it.

"Teddy-B" wrote:

Is it possible? I want to sort a list in excell by absolute value so that the
number 3 will be above -3 (or its closest match) and the number 990 will be
above -990 (or its closest match).

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use a helper column.
Assuming numbers (and only numbers) start in C6 and column D is blank then
enter this formula in D6 and fill down...
=IF(C6<0,ABS(C6)+0.0000000001,C6)
Sort both columns together using column D as the key (sort) column.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA