Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sum with multiple conditions and wildcard

Hi,

I am struggling with excel 2003 to essentially SUM a column with multiple
conditions and between 2 dates i.e sum revenues by account, by product,
between Dec 2008 and May 2009. I have used SUMPRODUCT with some success but
for some reason it doesn't appear to pick up the wildcard in my function.

I have also tried to use the Conditional Sum Wizard with some success
however this dosent appear to be a able to accept a wildcard searching for
text in the formula......having altered the formula after using the
wizard...Is there any way i can use teh wizard with a wildcard???

need the SUMIFS function i think???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

SUMPRODUCT won't work directly using wildcards.

The technique for a "wildcard-type" match is like this:

ISNUMBER(SEARCH("substring",RANGE))

If you would have provided some details we could have come up with the
appropriate formula.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Hank01061567" wrote in message

I am struggling with excel 2003 to essentially SUM a column with multiple
conditions and between 2 dates i.e sum revenues by account, by product,
between Dec 2008 and May 2009. I have used SUMPRODUCT with some success
but
for some reason it doesn't appear to pick up the wildcard in my function.

I have also tried to use the Conditional Sum Wizard with some success
however this dosent appear to be a able to accept a wildcard searching for
text in the formula......having altered the formula after using the
wizard...Is there any way i can use teh wizard with a wildcard???

need the SUMIFS function i think???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

No need to cross post, see the answer on your other post.

However, since you mention SUMIFS it tells me you are using 2007 and SUMIFS
does support wildcards, however one doesn't use wildcard to get a date range
in most cases. Instead one uses a between operation by doing = and <=. The
idea is the same as demonstrated for the SUMPRODUCT function on the other
post.

I'm not sure which approach runs faster but my guess would be SUMIFS.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire