Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default lookup/sum formula

I am working with a spreadsheet which has numbers and text in fields over a
large area:

for example, cells in a row would be: 435, 250, TEXT1, 400, 300, text2,
500....etc.
what I am looking to accomplish is to set a formula to say:

for each TEXT1 in a row, there should be a value of 1 added to a sum formula.

so if there are 6 TEXT1 cells in the row, the formula would result in a
value of 6.

Are there any formulas that can accomplish this in excel?

Any help is great.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try the below formula for range A1:A10. Please note that this is an array
formula. Within the cell in edit mode (F2) paste this formula and press
Ctrl+Shift+Enter to apply this formula. If successful in 'Formula Bar' you
can notice the curly braces at both ends like "{=<formula}"

=SUM(A1:A10)+SUM(IF(ISTEXT(A1:A10),1,0))

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"dgabriel" wrote:

I am working with a spreadsheet which has numbers and text in fields over a
large area:

for example, cells in a row would be: 435, 250, TEXT1, 400, 300, text2,
500....etc.
what I am looking to accomplish is to set a formula to say:

for each TEXT1 in a row, there should be a value of 1 added to a sum formula.

so if there are 6 TEXT1 cells in the row, the formula would result in a
value of 6.

Are there any formulas that can accomplish this in excel?

Any help is great.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Maybe this

=COUNTIF(A2:O2,"Text1")

Mike

"dgabriel" wrote:

I am working with a spreadsheet which has numbers and text in fields over a
large area:

for example, cells in a row would be: 435, 250, TEXT1, 400, 300, text2,
500....etc.
what I am looking to accomplish is to set a formula to say:

for each TEXT1 in a row, there should be a value of 1 added to a sum formula.

so if there are 6 TEXT1 cells in the row, the formula would result in a
value of 6.

Are there any formulas that can accomplish this in excel?

Any help is great.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oops. The below formula will count any TEXT entries... For counting a
specific text such as "TEXT1" use COUNTIF(A1:A10,"Text1")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"dgabriel" wrote:

I am working with a spreadsheet which has numbers and text in fields over a
large area:

for example, cells in a row would be: 435, 250, TEXT1, 400, 300, text2,
500....etc.
what I am looking to accomplish is to set a formula to say:

for each TEXT1 in a row, there should be a value of 1 added to a sum formula.

so if there are 6 TEXT1 cells in the row, the formula would result in a
value of 6.

Are there any formulas that can accomplish this in excel?

Any help is great.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

jacob and Mike.

Countif worked perfectly. Knew there had to be a formula for that..

Thanks!!

"Mike H" wrote:

Hi,

Maybe this