Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Function . . . Continued

Now that I am able to pull the value of the character out of the string. I
need to use an IF statement to have TRUE/FALSE text returned.

=IF(MID(M3,8,2)=1,"1/8 NPT","1/4 NPT") This returns a False value, would you
know why?
M3 = AP10-FG1A1P

"Mike H" wrote:

try this

=MID(A1,8,1)

Mike

"Charlie" wrote:

I need a function that will pull a character value from a specified cell and
string location so I can put it into an if statement to return a text string.

i.e.
Say I have this text string, AP10-FG1A1P, and I wanted to pull the value of
the 8th character. What do I use?

Find and Search are not returning the value, but only the position.
Right and Left return too many characters. Although they are good for the
first and last character value when needed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Because you originally said you wanted to pull one character and youe are
pulling 2
MID(M3,8,2) will pull 1A
You need MID(M3,8,1) to pull just the 1

"Charlie" wrote:

Now that I am able to pull the value of the character out of the string. I
need to use an IF statement to have TRUE/FALSE text returned.

=IF(MID(M3,8,2)=1,"1/8 NPT","1/4 NPT") This returns a False value, would you
know why?
M3 = AP10-FG1A1P

"Mike H" wrote:

try this

=MID(A1,8,1)

Mike

"Charlie" wrote:

I need a function that will pull a character value from a specified cell and
string location so I can put it into an if statement to return a text string.

i.e.
Say I have this text string, AP10-FG1A1P, and I wanted to pull the value of
the 8th character. What do I use?

Find and Search are not returning the value, but only the position.
Right and Left return too many characters. Although they are good for the
first and last character value when needed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Also, MID returns a string, so it should look like =IF(MID(M3,8,2)="1"...

"Charlie" wrote:

Now that I am able to pull the value of the character out of the string. I
need to use an IF statement to have TRUE/FALSE text returned.

=IF(MID(M3,8,2)=1,"1/8 NPT","1/4 NPT") This returns a False value, would you
know why?
M3 = AP10-FG1A1P

"Mike H" wrote:

try this

=MID(A1,8,1)

Mike

"Charlie" wrote:

I need a function that will pull a character value from a specified cell and
string location so I can put it into an if statement to return a text string.

i.e.
Say I have this text string, AP10-FG1A1P, and I wanted to pull the value of
the 8th character. What do I use?

Find and Search are not returning the value, but only the position.
Right and Left return too many characters. Although they are good for the
first and last character value when needed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

MID(),LEFT(),RIGHT() are Text functions..You need to have double quotes around/

=IF(MID(M3,8,2)="1","1/8 NPT","1/4 NPT")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Charlie" wrote:

Now that I am able to pull the value of the character out of the string. I
need to use an IF statement to have TRUE/FALSE text returned.

=IF(MID(M3,8,2)=1,"1/8 NPT","1/4 NPT") This returns a False value, would you
know why?
M3 = AP10-FG1A1P

"Mike H" wrote:

try this