Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Counting Characters in cells

Hi

I want to count the number of cells containing a particular uppercase
character.
I tried using =COUNTIF(J2:AN2,"H") but this counts lowercase as well.
Is there any way to count upper case or lower case only?

I am using Excel 2007

Thanks
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--EXACT("H",J2:Z2))
--

HTH,

RD

"Brian Bermingham" <Brian wrote in
message ...
Hi

I want to count the number of cells containing a particular uppercase
character.
I tried using =COUNTIF(J2:AN2,"H") but this counts lowercase as well.
Is there any way to count upper case or lower case only?

I am using Excel 2007

Thanks
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Adjust for your range:

=SUMPRODUCT(--EXACT("H",J2:AN2))

--

HTH,

RD

"RagDyeR" wrote in message
Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--EXACT("H",J2:Z2))
--

HTH,

RD

"Brian Bermingham" <Brian wrote in
message ...
Hi

I want to count the number of cells containing a particular uppercase
character.
I tried using =COUNTIF(J2:AN2,"H") but this counts lowercase as well.
Is there any way to count upper case or lower case only?

I am using Excel 2007

Thanks
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks RD that works as well.
Brian

"RagDyeR" wrote:

Adjust for your range:

=SUMPRODUCT(--EXACT("H",J2:AN2))

--

HTH,

RD

"RagDyeR" wrote in message
Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--EXACT("H",J2:Z2))
--

HTH,

RD

"Brian Bermingham" <Brian wrote in
message ...
Hi

I want to count the number of cells containing a particular uppercase
character.
I tried using =COUNTIF(J2:AN2,"H") but this counts lowercase as well.
Is there any way to count upper case or lower case only?

I am using Excel 2007

Thanks
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome, and appreciate the feed-back.
--

HTH,

RD

"Brian Bermingham" wrote in
message ...
Thanks RD that works as well.
Brian

"RagDyeR" wrote:

Adjust for your range:

=SUMPRODUCT(--EXACT("H",J2:AN2))

--

HTH,

RD

"RagDyeR" wrote in message
Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--EXACT("H",J2:Z2))
--

HTH,

RD

"Brian Bermingham" <Brian wrote in
message ...
Hi

I want to count the number of cells containing a particular uppercase
character.
I tried using =COUNTIF(J2:AN2,"H") but this counts lowercase as well.
Is there any way to count upper case or lower case only?

I am using Excel 2007

Thanks
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If I may:

The Find() function is itself, case sensitive.
It will only locate the position of the exact character in the first
argument.

The position, being a number, is returned as TRUE by the Isnumber()
function, and Sumproduct counts the number of TRUEs.
--

HTH,

RD

"Brian Bermingham" wrote in
message ...

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 08:11:01 -0700, Brian Bermingham <Brian
wrote:

Hi

I want to count the number of cells containing a particular uppercase
character.
I tried using =COUNTIF(J2:AN2,"H") but this counts lowercase as well.
Is there any way to count upper case or lower case only?

I am using Excel 2007

Thanks
Brian

Try:

=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(FIND("H",J2:AN2)))

--ron

Thanks ron that woks fine.
Just so I understand, the character is being compared as a number and as
upper case and lower case have diffeten values only the specified version is
counted?

Thanks

Brian