Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sort by file/directory like explorer

Hi,
I have a heap of files with their full directory paths and would like to
sort them in a tree structure. For example, sort the file names out first
then by the directory names.
So where I have the following in my list:
Candle/Candle.txt
Corn/Corn.txt
Delivery/Delivery.txt
Eggs.txt
Ham.txt
Open/Open.txt
Sandwich/Sandwich.txt
Service/Service.txt

i would like them to be sorted like this:
Eggs.txt
Ham.txt
Candle/Candle.txt
Corn/Corn.txt
Delivery/Delivery.txt
Open/Open.txt
Sandwich/Sandwich.txt
Service/Service.txt

Any help appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you tried to use text to columns (Data - Text to Columns) to split out
the directory path into seperate cells. You can then sort the individual
columns that contain the path to achieve what you want...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"NikiB" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would use data|text to columns, delimited by the backslash and separate each
piece of the file name into separate columns.

Then I could sort by the columns I want (maybe multiple times if the number of
levels is larger than 3).

NikiB wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I understand what you mean but I have several lists which need to be sorted
this way on their own. I wanted to avoind having to do manual sorting with
the sheer volume of information I have! Any other ideas?

"NikiB" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thanks, I understand what you mean but I have many lists that i wish to sort
in their own right and would prefer if there was no manual intervention!
Previous response had already suggested I use that method :) Any
other ideas?