Michele

Default Why "center across selection" rather than "merge" cells? What is.

When is it more appropriate to "center across" selection rather than "merge"
cells? What are the advantages/disadvantages to these two types of cell
alignment? Thanks very much.
Duke Carey

Merging cells interferes with selecting a range - to apply formatting, for
instance.

Simple example:
If B3 & C3 are merged and you want to select A1:B4, you end up with A1:C4

I *think* in older versions of Excel it also hindered the column autofit
feature activated by double clicking the border between column headers.

"Michele" wrote:

When is it more appropriate to "center across" selection rather than "merge"
cells? What are the advantages/disadvantages to these two types of cell
alignment? Thanks very much.

JE McGimpsey

Personally, I *never* use merge cells - it interferes with sorts, fills,
data selection, formatting, copy & paste, etc.

Center across selection is useful for extending column headings across
multiple columns.

In article ,
"Michele" wrote:

When is it more appropriate to "center across" selection rather than "merge"
cells? What are the advantages/disadvantages to these two types of cell
alignment? Thanks very much.

Michele

Duke and JE: Thanks very much and for responding so quickly. I'll practice
using the "center across" until the advantages become clearer in my brain.
BTW, what if I don't want to CENTER items? What if I want to still have a
left or right alignment? How is that overcome? Thanks again.

"Michele" wrote:

When is it more appropriate to "center across" selection rather than "merge"
cells? What are the advantages/disadvantages to these two types of cell
alignment? Thanks very much.

Duke Carey

You don't need to merge the cells if the text is too long for a single cell.
Simply use the left alignement and allow the text toextend beyond the cell's
right border. If you want it right-aligned then move the text to the
right-most cell and use the right align button/format

BTW, though I didn't state as emphatically as JE, I agree that Merge should
be HARD to do so that it's used rarely, while Center Across selection should
be part of the standard toolbar.

"Michele" wrote:

When is it more appropriate to "center across" selection rather than "merge"
cells? What are the advantages/disadvantages to these two types of cell
alignment? Thanks very much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why "center across selection" rather than "merge" cells? What

Duke,
What if you want the text to wrap?

"Michele" wrote:

When is it more appropriate to "center across" selection rather than "merge"
cells? What are the advantages/disadvantages to these two types of cell
alignment? Thanks very much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Duke
I absolutely agree that "Center across selection" rtaher than "Merge cells"
shoudl have been the default icon on the Formatting toolbar. Do you maybe
know how to get an icon there or modify the existing "Merge" one?

I can't belive that MS seemingly did not priovide for such toolbar
customization...

"Michele" wrote:

When is it more appropriate to "center across" selection rather than "merge"
cells? What are the advantages/disadvantages to these two types of cell
alignment? Thanks very much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See one reply at your other posting.

Assign the macro to a button on your toolbar.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP