Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Ref Formula

Good morning,

On my summary worksheet Cells A1:A50 are the names of the 50 other worksheets.

I wish to insert Cell A1 of the repsective worksheets adjacent to the tab
names in Column B, e.g.

Cell A1 Sheet1
Cell B1 ='Sheet1'!A1

How would I change this formula to refer to column A on my Summary worksheet?

Kind regards,

Neil
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=INDIRECT(A1&"!A1")
Note that you do not need the single quotes around the sheet name when it
contains no spaces
If your value in A1 is something like Year 2009 (ie the sheet name has a
space in it)
=INDIRECT("'"&A1&"'!A1")
That is:
INDIRECT( double-quote single-quote double-quote &A1& double-quote single
quote !A1 double-quote )

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Neil Pearce" wrote in message
Good morning,

On my summary worksheet Cells A1:A50 are the names of the 50 other
worksheets.

I wish to insert Cell A1 of the repsective worksheets adjacent to the tab
names in Column B, e.g.

Cell A1 Sheet1
Cell B1 ='Sheet1'!A1

How would I change this formula to refer to column A on my Summary
worksheet?

Kind regards,

Neil

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In B1
=INDIRECT(A1&"!A1")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Neil Pearce" wrote:

Good morning,

On my summary worksheet Cells A1:A50 are the names of the 50 other worksheets.

I wish to insert Cell A1 of the repsective worksheets adjacent to the tab
names in Column B, e.g.

Cell A1 Sheet1
Cell B1 ='Sheet1'!A1

How would I change this formula to refer to column A on my Summary worksheet?

Kind regards,

Neil

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

But those single quotes never hurt--even if they aren't necessary.

And there are other reasons (besides space characters) that the names would need
to be surrounded by those single quotes--names that look numbers, names that
look like cell addresses for example.

Bernard Liengme wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One more nitpicky rule -- if the sheet name has single quotes in it, they
need to be doubled.

This modification should work for any sheet name.

=INDIRECT("'" & SUBSTITUTE(A1,"'","''") & "'!A1")

Tim Zych
http://www.higherdata.com
Workbook Compare - Excel data comparison utility