Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Convert Single ALPHA Column to Two

I have almost 800 rows of alpha titles in one column I want to split into two
columns, while keeping them in alphabetical order - side-by-side rather than
one long alpha list.

Is this poss without spending hours moving each line manually?

V. Excel 2003
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Insert a new blank column on the right of your current column.
Go about halfway down your list and select a cell.
Do control+shift and down, to select all the cells from the middle to the
bottom of your column.
Right click
Cut
Go to the top of the new column you created
select the first cell
right click
paste

--
Allllen

"Lin400" wrote:

I have almost 800 rows of alpha titles in one column I want to split into two
columns, while keeping them in alphabetical order - side-by-side rather than
one long alpha list.

Is this poss without spending hours moving each line manually?

V. Excel 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 12:04:01 -0700, Lin400
wrote:

I have almost 800 rows of alpha titles in one column I want to split into two
columns, while keeping them in alphabetical order - side-by-side rather than
one long alpha list.

Is this poss without spending hours moving each line manually?

V. Excel 2003

If your data are in cells A1:A800, try this:

In cell B1 you enter the following

=OFFSET(A1,2*ROW()-2,0)

In cell C1 you enter the following

=OFFSET(A1,2*ROW()-1,0)

Then copy cells B1:C1 down as long as needed (to B400:C400 if you have
800 data)

Finally copy cells B1:C400 and paste them with
"Paste Special / Values" to where you want your two new columns to be.

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

I have almost 800 rows of alpha titles in one column I want to split into two
columns, while keeping them in alphabetical order - side-by-side rather than
one long alpha list.

Is this poss without spending hours moving each line manually?

V. Excel 2003

If your data are in cells A1:A800, try this:

In cell B1 you enter the following

=OFFSET(A1,2*ROW()-2,0)

In cell C1 you enter the following

=OFFSET(A1,2*ROW()-1,0)

Then copy cells B1:C1 down as long as needed (to B400:C400 if you have
800 data)

Finally copy cells B1:C400 and paste them with
"Paste Special / Values" to where you want your two new columns to be.

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke

Sorry, replace A1 with A$1 in the two formulas above.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi "Lin400"

With your data in Col A starting from Row 1; try the below formula in B1, C1
and the cells below as required .

=INDEX($A:$A,(ROW()-ROW($A$1))*2+COLUMN()-1)

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria