Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default filling in empty cells -

When I download a database into excel - it sets up the data fields as follows:

company name person
Acme Smith
Jones
Brown
Bender Howard
Mason
Fortune
Black Rain

Is there a way to auto fill the blanks with the company name above?

so it looks like

company name person
Acme Smith
Acme Jones
Acme Brown
Bender Howard
Bender Mason
Bender Fortune
Black Rain

any help would be appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe more to do with how your database is outputting the data than anything
excel is doing.

But have a look here for how to solve it in excel
http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html

--
Allllen

"stumped-in-excel" wrote:

When I download a database into excel - it sets up the data fields as follows:

company name person
Acme Smith
Jones
Brown
Bender Howard
Mason
Fortune
Black Rain

Is there a way to auto fill the blanks with the company name above?

so it looks like

company name person
Acme Smith
Acme Jones
Acme Brown
Bender Howard
Bender Mason
Bender Fortune
Black Rain

any help would be appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just give this try..

Enter the formula in say D2
=D1

Select column A.
Press F5. Click Special
From GoTo window select Blanks.
Right clickPaste SpecialFormulas..
--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------

"stumped-in-excel" wrote:

When I download a database into excel - it sets up the data fields as follows:

company name person
Acme Smith
Jones
Brown
Bender Howard
Mason
Fortune
Black Rain

Is there a way to auto fill the blanks with the company name above?

so it looks like

company name person
Acme Smith
Acme Jones
Acme Brown
Bender Howard
Bender Mason
Bender Fortune
Black Rain

any help would be appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It should be...

Enter the formula in say D2
=D1
Copy cell D2
Select column A.
Press F5. Click Special
From GoTo window select Blanks.
Right clickPaste SpecialFormulas..

--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Just give this try..

Enter the formula in say D2
=D1

Select column A.
Press F5. Click Special
From GoTo window select Blanks.

"stumped-in-excel" wrote:

When I download a database into excel - it sets up the data fields as follows:

company name person
Acme Smith
Jones
Brown
Bender Howard
Mason
Fortune
Black Rain

Is there a way to auto fill the blanks with the company name above?

so it looks like

company name person
Acme Smith
Acme Jones
Acme Brown
Bender Howard
Bender Mason
Bender Fortune
Black Rain

any help would be appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jacob -
Yes that did work... Thanks... I have no Idea why it worked but hey, it's
all about results -

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

It should be...

Enter the formula in say D2
=D1
Copy cell D2
Select column A.
Press F5. Click Special
From GoTo window select Blanks.
Right clickPaste SpecialFormulas..

--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Just give this try..

Enter the formula in say D2
=D1

Select column A.
Press F5. Click Special
From GoTo window select Blanks.

"stumped-in-excel" wrote:

When I download a database into excel - it sets up the data fields as follows:

company name person
Acme Smith
Jones
Brown
Bender Howard
Mason
Fortune
Black Rain

Is there a way to auto fill the blanks with the company name above?

so it looks like

company name person
Acme Smith
Acme Jones
Acme Brown
Bender Howard
Bender Mason
Bender Fortune
Black Rain

any help would be appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The formula entered is to get the value from top cell. So once we select the
blank cells and paste formulas; excel adjust the formula reference to pick
the value from the top cell of each selected cell.

Note that now you are having formulas in ColA (not values). To change that
Select column A. Copy. Rightclick PasteSpecial Values..to have all the cells
with values...

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"stumped-in-excel" wrote:

Jacob -
Yes that did work... Thanks... I have no Idea why it worked but hey, it's
all about results -

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

It should be...

Enter the formula in say D2
=D1
Copy cell D2
Select column A.
Press F5. Click Special
From GoTo window select Blanks.
Right clickPaste SpecialFormulas..

--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Just give this try..

Enter the formula in say D2
=D1

Select column A.
Press F5. Click Special
From GoTo window select Blanks.

"stumped-in-excel" wrote:

When I download a database into excel - it sets up the data fields as follows:

company name person
Acme Smith
Jones
Brown
Bender Howard
Mason
Fortune
Black Rain

Is there a way to auto fill the blanks with the company name above?

so it looks like

company name person
Acme Smith
Acme Jones
Acme Brown
Bender Howard
Bender Mason
Bender Fortune
Black Rain

any help would be appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Here is another approach that does the same thing:

1. Select the entire range of cell, blanks and not and press F5, Special,
Blanks, OK
2. Type = , Up Arrow, Ctrl+Enter (the three keystrokes = UpArrow Ctrl Enter)

In general you will next want to convert these formulas to values:
1. Select all the cells and press Ctrl C
2. Choose Edit, Paste Special, Values

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"stumped-in-excel" wrote:

Jacob -
Yes that did work... Thanks... I have no Idea why it worked but hey, it's
all about results -

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

It should be...

Enter the formula in say D2