Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default when i attach a spreadsheet the recipient cant open it?

Hi,
When i send a spreadsheet as an attachment the recipient cannot open the
file. It comes up on my email as "JMoAnnDiary09.xlsx" The recipient tells me
its because of the x at the end. Is this true and how can i send this file to
him so he can open it?

Please help me!

Cheers,
Jack.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The XLSX shows this to be an Excel 2007 file which cannot be read by earlier
version of Excel

Solution 1: the sender could save the file as an Excel 97-2003 file before
sending
Solution 2: the receiver could install the MS compatibility utility that
enable older Excels to read Excel 2007 files
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...686761033.aspx

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"tom180" wrote in message
When i send a spreadsheet as an attachment the recipient cannot open the
file. It comes up on my email as "JMoAnnDiary09.xlsx" The recipient tells
me
its because of the x at the end. Is this true and how can i send this file
him so he can open it?

Please help me!

Cheers,
Jack.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Tom,

You have excel 2007 on your PC.
Your friend has an earlier version, probably excel 2003.

Three options
1 - he can upgrade to excel 2007
2 - he can use a compatibility pack
3 - you can do save as, and choose the file format excel 2003 (.xls) from
the dropdown.

--
If you found this post helpful, please click "Yes".
Allllen