Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I copy a number to an entire column

Say I want to copy the number one to 4,000 plus lines, how do I do that
quickly?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You mean you want all 4000 cells to have the number 1 in them? If so, enter
the 1 in your first cell, press Ctrl+C (or click Edit/Copy on the menu bar),
click into the Name Box (the blank box to the left of the Formula Bar) and
type in the range you want to copy the value to (say, A2:A4001) and press
the Enter key (this will select the range you typed in) and then press
Ctrl+V (or click Edit/Paste from the menu bar). Finally, press the Escape
key to remove the copy selection indicator and click into any single cell to
remove the cell selection.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Kerri" wrote in message
Say I want to copy the number one to 4,000 plus lines, how do I do that
quickly?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

one way, select the range, enter the number and press control-enter.

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

"Kerri" wrote in message
Say I want to copy the number one to 4,000 plus lines, how do I do that
quickly?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In the name box, that space immediately above the column A header, type in
the range you want to fill then hit Enter. for example, in the name box type
A1:A4000 then hit Enter.

That will select the range with cell A1 being the active cell. Type the
number then, instead of hitting Enter, hold down the CTRL key then hit
Enter.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP