Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Need Idea on Arranging Data for Chart

I have an Access Database that has thousands of records in it. Each record
has the following fields (simplified): Date, Site, Seconds

I have a workbook that wueries the database, and brings in data into a table
for each site that has the Date and Seconds on each line of the table.

I would like to graph the data, based on groupings that the user will
choose, so maybe they would like to each data point on the line be the
average for a week, and the line would show 10 weeks, etc.

What I am struggling with is how to get from the frist table, to one that is
grouped by day, or week, or month or qrtr, etc. in an automated way.

Anyone have any ideas/examples they could share? I've gotta belive that this
has been done before, and I am just overlooking the obvious.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Steve Haack wrote:
I have an Access Database that has thousands of records in it. Each record
has the following fields (simplified): Date, Site, Seconds

I have a workbook that wueries the database, and brings in data into a table
for each site that has the Date and Seconds on each line of the table.

I would like to graph the data, based on groupings that the user will
choose, so maybe they would like to each data point on the line be the
average for a week, and the line would show 10 weeks, etc.

What I am struggling with is how to get from the frist table, to one that is
grouped by day, or week, or month or qrtr, etc. in an automated way.

Anyone have any ideas/examples they could share? I've gotta belive that this
has been done before, and I am just overlooking the obvious.

Thanks.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I have this file
posted that demonstrates a workflow from raw data, to consolidation via
pivot table, to chartable data extracted from the pivot. The thing I
like about the PT step is it facilitates many levels of summarization
that can be made available downstream without ever changing the
structure or references. I use this sort of technique all the time
(though my charts look much better now!)

http://vfdrake.home.comcast.net/file...orkflow_eg.xls

If you want to add interactivity that is more or less a question of
adding trickier manipulations in the final chart data step.