Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Countif Question

Hi all. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a workbook with two sheets
"By Client" has column A which is a list of client codes
"Raw Data" has 35000 lines of data where each line will include a client
code in column C.

On "By Client" I want to count how many times that client code shows on "Raw
Data".

I have already used a pivot table to get the list of client codes I want to
use, put I need to take this additional step.

Appreciate your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Something like this on "By Client" worksheet in row2

=COUNTIF('Raw Data'!C:C,A2)

And then copy down as needed.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"cware" wrote:

Hi all. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a workbook with two sheets
"By Client" has column A which is a list of client codes
"Raw Data" has 35000 lines of data where each line will include a client
code in column C.

On "By Client" I want to count how many times that client code shows on "Raw
Data".

I have already used a pivot table to get the list of client codes I want to
use, put I need to take this additional step.

Appreciate your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

cware,
Try this:
On your "By Client" sheet, in the column that you want the total, "Raw Data".
Put "=SUMIF(C1:C35000,"Clientcode")" without the first " and last ".

C1:C35000 - is the column of data that you want to add.
"Clientcode" - is the Clientcode that is the same.

hth
Dennis

"cware" wrote:

Hi all. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a workbook with two sheets
"By Client" has column A which is a list of client codes
"Raw Data" has 35000 lines of data where each line will include a client
code in column C.

On "By Client" I want to count how many times that client code shows on "Raw
Data".

I have already used a pivot table to get the list of client codes I want to
use, put I need to take this additional step.

Appreciate your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
=countif(By Client!C2:C35000,"ClientCode")

if client code is a number then forget the quotes around Client code above.

regards
FSt1

"cware" wrote:

Hi all. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a workbook with two sheets
"By Client" has column A which is a list of client codes
"Raw Data" has 35000 lines of data where each line will include a client
code in column C.

On "By Client" I want to count how many times that client code shows on "Raw
Data".

I have already used a pivot table to get the list of client codes I want to
use, put I need to take this additional step.

Appreciate your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you both for your responses. I've tried both the sumif and countif. I
think it must have something to do with my client codes. They are normally
alpha. On the countif, I'm picking up all zeros, which cannot be right or
this list would not exist. Is there something I can use to pull alpha code
matches?

"cware" wrote:

Hi all. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a workbook with two sheets
"By Client" has column A which is a list of client codes
"Raw Data" has 35000 lines of data where each line will include a client
code in column C.

On "By Client" I want to count how many times that client code shows on "Raw
Data".

I have already used a pivot table to get the list of client codes I want to
use, put I need to take this additional step.

Appreciate your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi, I cannot get this to work. I thought it would be this easy as well....I
actually started out with this exact statement. Will it matter if my client
code is alpha and not numerical?

"cware" wrote:

Hi all. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a workbook with two sheets
"By Client" has column A which is a list of client codes
"Raw Data" has 35000 lines of data where each line will include a client
code in column C.

On "By Client" I want to count how many times that client code shows on "Raw
Data".

I have already used a pivot table to get the list of client codes I want to
use, put I need to take this additional step.

Appreciate your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Probably not.

=countif() will treat both numbers and strings as strings.

But if you have trailing/leading/multiple embedded spaces, then the strings
won't be equal.

Can you pick out a value you know that should be included in the count and see
if there's something else in that cell?

"cware" wrote:

Hi all. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a workbook with two sheets
"By Client" has column A which is a list of client codes
"Raw Data" has 35000 lines of data where each line will include a client
code in column C.

On "By Client" I want to count how many times that client code shows on "Raw
Data".

I have already used a pivot table to get the list of client codes I want to
use, put I need to take this additional step.

Appreciate your assistance.

--

Dave Peterson