MBlake

Default Excel forum

Hi,
I am going to try and broaden my knowledge of Excel. At present I am
reading the various Microsoft News Groups. I have also seen Mr Excel and
Spreadsheet-1 forums. Is there a recommended forum that I should be reading
or all they all much the same?

Thanks,
Mickey

MBlake

Thanks Bob,

Mickey

Earl Kiosterud

To add to that, I think .worksheetfunctions was intended for actual
functions -- SUM(), IF() etc. -- though many other questions are put there.
I guess the only reason it matters is that not everyone looks through all
the groups, and it's good to have some differentiation.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"MBlake" wrote in message
I am going to try and broaden my knowledge of Excel. At present I am
reading the various Microsoft News Groups. I have also seen Mr Excel and
Spreadsheet-1 forums. Is there a recommended forum that I should be

reading
or all they all much the same?

Thanks,
Mickey

CLR

I think a lot of it is the same........it's just mostly a matter of format
preference, and "where you feel comfortable"......the main thing is to keep
reading...........I personally prefer the Microsoft newsgroups like this
one, "Programming", "Worksheet functions", "Newusers", "Charting", "Links",
etc etc........all when viewed with my Outlook Express.........I don't
really like the interface going directly there from the Web, but I do use
it at work 'cause they don't use OE............

Soon, you'll be reading the OP and then trying to figure the answer yourself
before reading the others........that's the fun part. And if you see an
answer, but don't understand it, then ASK for a clarification and someone
will be happy to explain. Then one day, YOU will be helping
others........it's really a great way to learn.

Welcome aboard.......

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"MBlake" wrote in message
I am going to try and broaden my knowledge of Excel. At present I am
reading the various Microsoft News Groups. I have also seen Mr Excel and
Spreadsheet-1 forums. Is there a recommended forum that I should be

reading
or all they all much the same?

Thanks,
Mickey

Dave Peterson

If you're just lurking, I like:

But if you really have questions that require answers...

> [...]

Pick out the one with the best fit and post to that newsgroup. It's not
necessary to post to multiple newsgroups, but if you think you must, just send
one message addressed to all the newsgroups you think will help.

If you send multiple messages to multiple newsgroups (called multiposting),
you'll have lots of newsgroups to check, you won't get the added benefit of a
cooperative response and you'll invoke the wrath of Kahn, er, regulars who hate
multiposting.

Crossposting (one message to multiple newsgroups) isn't really necessary, but
since a reply to any message should show up in the other newsgroups, it doesn't
cause that much trouble.

(Yeah, I stay away from .charting, .links, .templates, .crashesgpfs unless I
have to go there!)

MBlake wrote:

Hi,
I am going to try and broaden my knowledge of Excel. At present I am
reading the various Microsoft News Groups. I have also seen Mr Excel and
Spreadsheet-1 forums. Is there a recommended forum that I should be reading
or all they all much the same?

Thanks,
Mickey

--

Dave Peterson
MBlake

Thanks Dave, Earl, Chuck & Bob.
I'm going to concentrate on the msnews forums and maybe one day I can
contribute as Chuck writes. Thanks again,

Mickey

Jim May

Don't forget Google's Excel Groups !!
Check out Ron de Bruin's Excel Add-In, which is a Google Search
from within Excel -- I love it
http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm
HTH
and Good Luck