Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Change in the way excel interprets dates

My Excel 2007 spreadsheet used to interpret the entry Mar 19 as March 19,
2009 (or whatever the current year was). Now when I enter Mar 19 the
number is interpreted as March 1, 2019.
Excel used to interpret the number following the month as the day, but now it
assumes it is the year. I didn't change anything, to my knowledge, and I have
been using the same spreadsheet for years.
Any idea how to tell Excel how to correctly interpret the date entered?
(Note that this isn't a formatting question. I can get it to display the date
in any format, but the date is always misinterpreted. I realize I could enter
the date in a mm/dd/yy or dd/mm/yy way, but I'm just wondering why Excel used
to interpret my quick entry correctly and now doesn't.
-Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Someone has changed your Short Date in Control PanelRegional and Language
Options to dd/MM/yyyy

Go into CP and reset short date to MM/dd/yyyy

OR.........type 19 Mar instead or Mar 19

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP