Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Text functions

I want to a sum of 2 cells to be placed into another cell, but only if a
different cell has a certain word in it ( so if cell A1 has "Private" typed
in it, the sum of D2-D1 will be placed into B1, if any other words are
written in A1 then the sum of D2-D1 to be placed in C1)
Hope this makes sence? I does in my head!
Regards
Craig
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Enter this formula in C1:

=if(A1="Private",D2-D1,"")

Regards,
Per

"Redders527" skrev i meddelelsen
I want to a sum of 2 cells to be placed into another cell, but only if a
different cell has a certain word in it ( so if cell A1 has "Private"
typed
in it, the sum of D2-D1 will be placed into B1, if any other words are
written in A1 then the sum of D2-D1 to be placed in C1)
Hope this makes sence? I does in my head!
Regards
Craig

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can not use a function to write to two different cells based on the value
in a cell.
What you can do is write two IF functions, one in each cell, so that only
one shows the SUM based on the value in A1
Enter this in B1
=IF(A1="Private",D2-D1,"")
and this in C1
=IF(AND(A1<"",A1<"Private"),D2-D1,"")

AND in second IF will prevent a value to be written in C1 if A1 is blank...