Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default FIND COLUMN DATA

Hi,

I need to find corresponding references in a sheet and then return the name
next to the reference. How do i do this?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Take a look at the LOOKUP and VLOOKUP functions in XL help, I believe one of
those is what you are looking for.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Dave" wrote:

Hi,

I need to find corresponding references in a sheet and then return the name
next to the reference. How do i do this?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

I have one sheet with a reference number. I need to find that reference
number in the other sheet and then return what name is next to that reference
numberin the column next to it.

Thanks

"Dave" wrote:

Hi,

I need to find corresponding references in a sheet and then return the name
next to the reference. How do i do this?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Mike

I thought I had this covered but it has not worked. I tried LOOKUP but it
just returned random names.

Thanks

"Dave" wrote:

Hi,

I need to find corresponding references in a sheet and then return the name
next to the reference. How do i do this?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sheet1 has your list of reference numbers, from A2 to A100.

Sheet2 has the datalist, with the numbers in say D1 to D75.

NOW, if the names are in a column to the *right* of the numbers, say E1 to
E75, you could use the Vlookup() function.

Enter this on Sheet1, in B2:

=Vlookup(A2,Sheet2!D$1:E$75,2,0)

And copy down.

If, on the other hand, the names in the datalist on Sheet are to the *left*
of the numbers, say C1 to C75, then use the Index() Match() combination in
B2 of Sheet1:

=Index(Sheet2!C$1:C$75,Match(A2,Sheet2!D$1:D$75,0) )

And copy down.

You could of course use the Index/Match combo in the first case also, but
now you have exposure to different approaches.
--

HTH,

RD

..

"Dave" wrote:

Hi,

I need to find corresponding references in a sheet and then return the
name
next to the reference. How do i do this?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
and
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))
and
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble

If this doesn't help, you're going to have to provide some details.

What value is being matched?

Where is the column that should be matched? Where is the column that should be
returned?

Dave wrote:

Hi,

I need to find corresponding references in a sheet and then return the name
next to the reference. How do i do this?

Thanks

--

Dave Peterson