Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Filter doesn't show record count

As I recall, Filter used to show a count of records at the bottom of the
screen after applying a new filter value. But now it doesn't - all I see is
the legend "Filter mode".

How can I see the record count?

I'm using Excel 2003.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Over to the Right side of the screen same level as "filter mode" you'll see
light shaded blocks......right mouse click and select "count" vs Sum....etc.
But then you'll have to highlight what you want to count after it is
filtered...hope this helps

Peter

"Eric_NY" wrote:

As I recall, Filter used to show a count of records at the bottom of the
screen after applying a new filter value. But now it doesn't - all I see is
the legend "Filter mode".

How can I see the record count?

I'm using Excel 2003.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks. I never knew about that feature.

But what happened to the record count on the left side at that same screen
level? I'm pretty sure I recall that it used to, or that it sometimes,
displays record count without being asked.

"Eric_NY" wrote:

As I recall, Filter used to show a count of records at the bottom of the
screen after applying a new filter value. But now it doesn't - all I see is
the legend "Filter mode".

How can I see the record count?

I'm using Excel 2003.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You are correct, sometimes its there, sometimes not. It's a known error w/ XL.
Alternatively, you could use a header cell somewhere with a subtotal
function like
=SUBTOTAL(3,A2:A65000)
Note that you should make it check a column that always contains data.
Subtotal doesn't count filtered rows, so could return the same thing as the
record count without you having to select cells.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Eric_NY" wrote:

As I recall, Filter used to show a count of records at the bottom of the
screen after applying a new filter value. But now it doesn't - all I see is
the legend "Filter mode".

How can I see the record count?

I'm using Excel 2003.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks.

Some of these Microsoft bugs or deficiencies seem to stay around for quite a
long time without being fixed. Do they ever get fixed, I wonder??? Or maybe
it's just been too long since I've upgraded. (I'm not looking forward to the
upgrade to Office 2007, with its redesigned menus and ribbons, where I'll
have to relearn where every feature is.)

"Eric_NY" wrote:

As I recall, Filter used to show a count of records at the bottom of the
screen after applying a new filter value. But now it doesn't - all I see is
the legend "Filter mode".

How can I see the record count?

I'm using Excel 2003.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When your list has many formulas, or if you change a record, the Status
Bar may show "Filter Mode" instead of a count of the visible records. As
Peter said, you can use the Subtotal function to count the visible rows.

The following MSKB article has some information:

The AutoFilter status bar displays the "Filter Mode" message in Excel
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=213886

And a couple of workarounds described he
http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Count

"Eric_NY" wrote:

As I recall, Filter used to show a count of records at the bottom of the
screen after applying a new filter value. But now it doesn't - all I see is
the legend "Filter mode".

How can I see the record count?

I'm using Excel 2003.

Thanks.