Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Highlight New Data from Web Table Import

I'm using Excel 2007's built-in 'data from web' to pull in a table that is
sorted alphabetically. The content of the table gets updated with new info
added to the existing info so the table grows and nothing gets deleted.

I'd like to be able to automatically have whatever is new since the last
import be highlighted in some way so I can easily scan the spreadsheet and
find those new lines. I've tried all sorts of formatting for the existing
data but the new items inherit that formatting.

Any ideas on highlighting the changes? I don't care if I have to manually
un-do the highlighting for the next time the table gets updated, but just
being able to see the new stuff at the time of importing is the important
part.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the reply, Don, but I'm not doing this via macros. I'm just using
the standard "From Web" button on the Data tab. I point to a table on a URL
and import it. Well, I guess technically that's a macro behind the scenes,
eh?

"Don Guillett" wrote:

If you are doing by macro then you should be able to delete the prior
interiorcolor and color the new cells. If desired, send your file to my
address below and I'll take a look.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"tonydi" wrote in message
I'm using Excel 2007's built-in 'data from web' to pull in a table that is
sorted alphabetically. The content of the table gets updated with new info
added to the existing info so the table grows and nothing gets deleted.

I'd like to be able to automatically have whatever is new since the last
import be highlighted in some way so I can easily scan the spreadsheet and
find those new lines. I've tried all sorts of formatting for the existing
data but the new items inherit that formatting.

Any ideas on highlighting the changes? I don't care if I have to manually
un-do the highlighting for the next time the table gets updated, but just
being able to see the new stuff at the time of importing is the important
part.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

AFAIK, you would need a macro. Do you always use the same info for the url
or are there variables?
If desired, send me your file and I'll take a look.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"tonydi" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I sent OP a file that un highlightsfetches datahighlights if not on the
list made from previous fetches.
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"tonydi" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I just wanted to come back here and publicly express my appreciation for all
the time and effort Don put in to solve my problem. His solution was elegant
and exactly what I needed.

Thanks Don!

"tonydi" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc