Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default differences between 3

I have 3 columns with dates in them with one column being the constant. I
need to find the number of days between the constant date and one column if
the other column is blank, if there is a date in the 3rd column then I need
to use that date with the constant. Help...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming column A if one columns, B is column that can be blank, and C is
your constant:

=IF(B2="",ABS(A2-C2),ABS(B2-C2))

The absolute function is included to cover both scenarios in which constant
could be less than or greater than date in A2/B2. Feel free to take it out if
you don't need it.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"dhealy" wrote:

I have 3 columns with dates in them with one column being the constant. I
need to find the number of days between the constant date and one column if
the other column is blank, if there is a date in the 3rd column then I need
to use that date with the constant. Help...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe:

=IF(C1="",B1-A1,C1-A1)

Format as number, not as date

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"dhealy" wrote in message
I have 3 columns with dates in them with one column being the constant. I
need to find the number of days between the constant date and one column
if
the other column is blank, if there is a date in the 3rd column then I
need
to use that date with the constant. Help...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

one way

A1 is the constant date
B1 is normally used
C1 is sometimes blank

enter in D1

=IF(C1<0,C1-A1,B1-A1)

--
Greetings from New Zealand

"dhealy" wrote in message
I have 3 columns with dates in them with one column being the constant. I
need to find the number of days between the constant date and one column
if
the other column is blank, if there is a date in the 3rd column then I
need
to use that date with the constant. Help...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Niek, that is exactly what I needed to achieve.
Enjoy your day,
deb

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Maybe:

=IF(C1="",B1-A1,C1-A1)

Format as number, not as date

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"dhealy" wrote in message
I have 3 columns with dates in them with one column being the constant. I
need to find the number of days between the constant date and one column
if
the other column is blank, if there is a date in the 3rd column then I
need
to use that date with the constant. Help...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Bill,
for some reason I could not get the "sometimes" columm to adjust correctly
but thank you for your input. Your outcome could come in handy for me on
another worksheet.
Greetings from Michigan

"Bill Kuunders" wrote:

one way

A1 is the constant date
B1 is normally used
C1 is sometimes blank

enter in D1

=IF(C1<0,C1-A1,B1-A1)

--
Greetings from New Zealand

"dhealy" wrote in message
I have 3 columns with dates in them with one column being the constant. I
need to find the number of days between the constant date and one column
if
the other column is blank, if there is a date in the 3rd column then I
need
to use that date with the constant. Help...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Luke,
thanks for your input but the formula didn't work out for the "sometimes"
columm I use. I have kept your formula for other worksheets that this will
fit into.
dhealy