Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cursor click is selecting multiple cells

I have rearranged a spreadsheet that has merged cells. This has resulted in
an odd behavior I have not seen nor do I know how to fix it. The cursor
click now will select several cells in the column. So I can't get at a
single cell in most cases. The behavior is somewhat random as to how many
cells are selected. Frustrated!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dann,
The problem is that you still have some merge cells, highlight the whole
spreadsheet and click on merge, it will solve your problem
If this helps please click yes, thanks

"Dann" wrote:

I have rearranged a spreadsheet that has merged cells. This has resulted in
an odd behavior I have not seen nor do I know how to fix it. The cursor
click now will select several cells in the column. So I can't get at a
single cell in most cases. The behavior is somewhat random as to how many
cells are selected. Frustrated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My best guess is you hit F8 which truns on multi-select. Try hitting F8 again
to turn it off.

Note that when you do this the letters EXT toggle on and off in the bottom
right corner of the XL window...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Dann" wrote:

I have rearranged a spreadsheet that has merged cells. This has resulted in
an odd behavior I have not seen nor do I know how to fix it. The cursor
click now will select several cells in the column. So I can't get at a
single cell in most cases. The behavior is somewhat random as to how many
cells are selected. Frustrated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I had to unmerge the spreadsheet in 2003 version. BUt this did not work when
ported to 2007 version. It still selects many cells not just one. I will
have to work with the sheet in 2003 until I can figure it out in 2007.

"Dann" wrote:

I have rearranged a spreadsheet that has merged cells. This has resulted in
an odd behavior I have not seen nor do I know how to fix it. The cursor
click now will select several cells in the column. So I can't get at a
single cell in most cases. The behavior is somewhat random as to how many
cells are selected. Frustrated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try setting the Zoom level a little lower or higher.

The multiple cell selection is a bug in Excel 2007.

The zoom-changing appears to fix it.

A few postings have made the suggestion and it seems
to work.

Here is one such posting.

http://tinyurl.com/3wofsf

I have received replies to this advice indicating the zoom change clears it
up.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP