Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Help creating evenly proportioned groups.

I have a range of data in two columns with anywhere between 1 and 144 rows of
data. Data in Column A is in text format and contains all unique data. Data
in Column B is numeric and may or MAY NOT all be unique. All unique text
data has a numeric value associated with it. With this data range, I want to
create evenly proportioned groups (groups contain 2, 3, or 4 text values,
which I want to be able to change depending on the range size.)

For instance.
COLUMN A____COLUMN B
Text1 has a value of 10
Text2 has a value of 20
Text3 has a value of 30
Text4 has a value of 40
Text5 has a value of 50
Text6 has a value of 60
Text7 has a value of 70
Text8 has a value of 80

What I want to do with those 8 values is to create 2 evenly matched groups
of 4.
So I want the output to be:
Group 1
Text10 = 10
Text30 = 30
Text60 = 60
Text80 = 80
Total Pts = 180 <-- notice the even, or at least close to even, total points
between groups.

Group 2
Text2 = 20
Text4 = 40
Text5 = 50
Text7 = 70
Total Pts = 180 <--

How would I go about this? I could even put the output in one single column
without breaks if that's easier? Thanks!