Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default want to record date for each time I update a file

I want to keep track of dates that a file is updated.
The Summary only shows the last time a file was modified but I want to keep
track of each time it is modified.
Is there a way to do this?
Thanks
Patty

--
You can always teach an old dog new tricks. I know I don't know everything.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First insert a special worksheet named "record". Then install the following
event macro in the workbook code area:

Dim w1 As Worksheet
Dim w2 As Worksheet
Set w1 = ActiveSheet
Set w2 = Sheets("record")
w2.Activate
If Cells(1, 1).Value = "" Then
i = 1
Else
i = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
End If
Cells(i, 1).Value = Now
w1.Activate
End Sub

Each time the file is saved the date/time will be recorded in the new tab.

Because it is workbook code, it is very easy to install and use:

1. right-click the tiny Excel icon just to the left of File on the Menu Bar
2. select View Code - this brings up a VBE window
3. paste the stuff in and close the VBE window

If you save the workbook, the macro will be saved with it.

To remove the macro:

1. bring up the VBE windows as above
2. clear the code out
3. close the VBE window

To learn more about macros in general, see:

To learn more about Event Macros (workbook code), see:

Gary''s Student - gsnu200854

"PattyR" wrote:

I want to keep track of dates that a file is updated.
The Summary only shows the last time a file was modified but I want to keep
track of each time it is modified.
Is there a way to do this?
Thanks
Patty

--
You can always teach an old dog new tricks. I know I don't know everything.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi
I forgot to mention that I am using Excel in MS Office Enterprise 2007.
I tried the code below but it didn't work.
Thanks
Patty